Scammell Pioneer Gallery

Back in the 1960's there was a road planing gang that used to work in this area at times. They used a Pioneer gun tractor in pretty original condition with a bulk fuel tank in the back to fuel the burner. The firm was E.A.R.A.T., which I think was East Anglian Roadstone & Transport, truck was painted red. Anyone got a photo of their Pioneer as I did not take photos of it sadly.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
The last shot is Christened "Bastardslow" if I remember. It was dragged out of a hedge in Wales and I beleive it is a Civvy heavy haulage (80 ton) variant and is geared to a little over 12-18 mph.

Mike,

It could be the tank transporter version, or based on it, judging by the long wheelbase. I was given to understand that the rear axle ratio was lower on them with a top speed of around 15 mph. That ties in with the top speed you quote. When the REME restored the longest serving Pioneer in the army, which was a recovery that was last used in Belize, it was found to have one of these low geared axles. I remember the chap who collected it from the workshops at Aldershot, saying how a bee was flying along in front of the windscreen and getting away from him!

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Here are a couple I saw at a brief visit to Bloxham Steam Rally.

and the other was owned by a chap called Terry.

FUF47 used to be in the Warnham War Museum in Sussex, many years ago, and I think was owned by Jeff Theobald. He used to tow a 7 1/2 ton recovery trailer with Bren Carrier on it.

Jeff Theobald was indeed the owner/restorer of FUF47, and over the period of its restoration had many more. It is probably one of the most original Pioneers on the circuit and Jeff supplied us with a few hard to find items including the 3 foot hub spanner when we bought ours. Jeff and my father have known each other since the 60's when Jeff had a yard in Exeter where he had countless rare vehicles including Kubel, Schwimmer etc, he also saved the unique Humber Hexonaut from a saw mill not 2 miles from my offices, we also have a cine film of Jeff, Dad and friends in the Exeter yard recieving a GMC CCKW on suspended tow behind a Mack No that was operated by the local garage!!

Jeff and my father have known each other since the 60's when Jeff had a yard in Exeter where he had countless rare vehicles including Kubel, Schwimmer etc, he also saved the unique Humber Hexonaut from a saw mill not 2 miles from my offices,

I seem to recollect he had some vehicles on display in the grounds of Powderham Castle and am sure I saw the Hexonaut there. That would be back in early Seventies I reckon.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I bumped into Jeff at the Queen Elizabeth country park on the a3 near Hindhead he is into steam cars now,we went over the charlie mann sarga.I am going to see him to hopefully copy all his pics and he has film of Harry pounds yard when it was full of bren gun carriers.

Dammit, thought no-one else spotted it! I had a quiet bid on it, Now it'll probably go for £200 :argh:

Does anyone have another of these lying around, the two on the back of my cab have been replaced with broken windows from a caravan! Nice touch...

Nice Pioneer shots on here thought i would dig out a photo of the old NO1 not with the usual vickers independant load but this time a 18pdr Vickers gun tractor. Richard i have a photo of the E.A.R.A.T Pioneer working in Dover i will sort it out and post as soon as

hmvf4.jpg

Nothing really exciting about these photos, i am sure this is the Pioneer still with the REME collection at Bordon or it maybe in the building at arborfield. What is interesting is they were taken around 40 years ago by my good friend Mike Conniford when the tractor was based outside the Moat House, note the the support jacks to take the weight off the axles

hmvf4.jpg

hmvf5.jpg

hmvf8.jpg