Conflict Archaeology- Here we go again...

Here we are back again.

Thanks for asking the MODs to reinstate the Military Archaeology Forum as I was really pleased with the way it had taken off in so many interesting directions in such a short time.

I will try and put back any of the material which got lost which I kept copies of but that might take a day or two.

As ever

Andy B

Here we are back again.

Thanks for asking the MODs to reinstate the Military Archaeology Forum as I was really pleased with the way it had taken off in so many interesting directions in such a short time.

I will try and put back any of the material which got lost which I kept copies of but that might take a day or two.

As ever

Andy B

Good stuff Andy and yes it was working extremely well.

We just need to put this blip behind us and get normal service resumed. It goes to show how much work Jack and Joris do to keep the forum running. It is a terrible shame we lost so much stuff, but we can rebuild in short order.

Good to have you back,

MB

Andy, can you PM me an e-mail? I've got the pictures for you of the Fphone box. Also a bit of your knowledge please. A guy at work has got the medical records of his Grandfather a 1914 volunteer in the RFA. He's going to let me have copies, I'll post them but who would hold the service records? The guy was in France and Salonika, caught Malaria, and went to Bristol hospital then back to France. The signature of the RAMC officer who signed is clear as well, might be fun to track him down? Not strictly vehicles, but hey , people drove them. Also any plans for 11/11/2008? What about a trip across the water?

Hi Tony,

I will PM you, but I thought I would answer the question about WW1 Records in the forum as it might interest other members.

Essentially there are two places to start on line, which in effect are now one and the same. The National Archive at Kew has a relationship with the geneological research company Ancestry.co.uk and an increasing amount of information related to individuals is now online and accessable through both these portals.

http://landing.ancestry.co.uk/ukmilitary/collections.aspx?o_xid=34784&o_lid=34784&offerid=0%3a7935%3a0

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/research.asp#ww1

For general military History look at...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/?homepage=mh-more

...where you can get information to fill out the background of any search for an individual. Both sites have guides to using the material.

Usually you can check the indexes for free and you then pay for downloads. In the case of the National Archive you can also order hard copies on line if you know the document you want.

That is the good news, the bad news is that a large preportion of WW1 Service records were lost in a warehouse fire during the blitz in 1940. Some do remain and there are various roundabout ways of getting at information and reconstructing even lost service records such as using the 1918 Absent Voters lists, the medal card indexes and unit war diary accounts to look at movements and postings.

If a serviceman was killed or missing you can also get name rank service number and address from the Commonwealth Wargrave Commission Website...

http://www.cwgc.org/

Essentially get as much information as you can about a subject, i.e. full name, nicknames, home address, date of birth, place of birth, parents full names and regiment/service before you start to look at the online material. If you have a name age and home address you can usually track down an individual and get their service number etc. Sometimes it is a process of elimination, even inspired guesswork untill you hit on that checkable fact prooves you are onto the right person.

An example, we looked for information on my partners great uncle. We had a name and a photograph of him as a private in SD Uniform with West Yorks badging but no service number or Battalion number. However we knew he was KIA at Bezantin Wood in June 1916 and we had his age and the street where his family lived in Bradford. With that information we looked on the CWGC index and got his Service Number, his rank when he was killed and the Battalion 1/6th West Yorks. We could then look at regimental histories for that Units postings etc.

You can also try local newspapers for casualty lists, obituaries and accounts of actions involving local people. They are often held on microfilm in local studies archives and also give you a picture of how the community responded to the events of the War.

I hope this helps- let us know how it goes.

As ever

Andy B