London (ish) convoy

john fox

we had discussed forming a convoy for those going from London, Surrey and the south east generally but had not got as far as agreeing details and i don't know who is who so can't contact any of you directly

can we start again?

The most recent suggestion was a meet up point of the M3 Services (Fleet)

but interim points along the way to Fleet might work as well for me re the Croydon lot? Who are you and can you commit to anything yet?

Hi guys,

We are 5 minutes from the top end of the M23 and there are a number of laybys where we could meet. We could then meet the M3 group at Fleet or nearer as suits. The more the merrier!

Far too early to talk about times though:). We'll have to discuss and come back to you.

Anyone else?

- Mike

Result!

I'll have to look at a map to work out what time we'll get to the M3.

- Mike

The AA route planner says Hooley to Fleet services is 42.2 miles - this is based on the Hooley start point being the junction of Church Lane and the A23 in Hooley and is 1.04 miles from the M23 junction!

I leave you to guess how long a circuit of the M25 during the tail end of the rush hour will take

Result!

Ok, so to start this plan off shall we meet around 09.00 in Hooley?

I'll have to look at a map to work out what time we'll get to the M3.

- Mike

That aok with me just need to sort paul at my end

The AA route planner says Hooley to Fleet services is 42.2 miles - this is based on the Hooley start point being the junction of Church Lane and the A23 in Hooley and is 1.04 miles from the M23 junction!

I leave you to guess how long a circuit of the M25 during the tail end of the rush hour will take

That is the correct location so 42 miles at 40mph is give-or-take 1 hour, not counting traffic. It's only about 4 junctions to the M3 and it's not THE worst bit of the Mway.

I was wondering anyway if that was a little early...? Grasshopper's alarm clock doesn't do single figures, and the M25 can be hellish. Perhaps we should work backwards - what time do we want to arrive at the Plains?

- Mike

I think its about 110 miles so about 3 hoursish i am ok with what ever time you think mid day arrival sounds about right

Only one cat to get you up our two kittens start about 5.30! i go back to sleep !!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest we meet at 9am at the cafe at the junction of Woodplace Lane and the A23. There's a big layby there so we should be able to park up easily. (http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?ie=utf-8&strArrivalDate=&strDepartureDate=&strPersons=2&strCountry=EUR&strAddress=woodplace+close&strMerged=coulsdon&x=0&y=0)

From the top end of the M23, continue about 1 mile on the A23; cafe is on the right just before the 3rd set of traffic lights. You may prefer to carry on and turn round more safely at the roundabout a little further on.

- Mike