Plain invasion 2008

SPTA team

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those pics just bring back all the good memories, thanks Jack. I can't wait to see Rambos face when we pull into Greenlands for a photo shoot. I think this place is far better than Beachs barn we stopped at last year. With a bit of computer trickery we should be able to get some realistic old time pictures from this place. We have blown out farm buildings, woods, plenty of parking and a new addition, the Afgan compound with make shift buildings, gun inplacments and baracades. Anyone fancy nocking up a NI set peace please feel free to bring along some kit. If I can find a half decent picture of Greenland I will post.

Thanks again Jack for post the pictures. Good one chaps

Tony

Tony

I,m sure we've covered this before but do we need to bring all our vehicle docs,driving licences etc?and also what was mentioned about vehicle mounted de-acs etc.Suitable military style clobber was also mentioned?:cool2:

As for vehicles,we,re now on plan C which is shoot the robin(only joking,honest):rofl:and bring the 434 with dickie starter ,dodgy intercom and a load of Plain dust from last year,and enjoy the weekend regardless:yay:,and not be put off by Roys warm beer:beer:

DaveP

Dave you are the man, let me be the first to give you a great big hug when you turn up. If pos mate and everyone else, can you please bring all your current docs just incase we get a visit from Westdown camp. As for guns and cammo gear, its up to you what you wear within reason, no rubber. GUNS, You may bring them but remember we are on public rights of way so the law is the same as civvie street. No running around with them unless its for photo shoots. Vehicles carrying guns must have them coverd while transiting the ranges but again when we are taking pictures you may take the wraps of. These are not my rules this has been handed down by the MOD. Sorry

Tony

PS Dave any news on Dougy, I know last year he wanted to play in some mud and I think I may have just what he is looking for.

Tony

Dougy came up here on Saturday and we fitted a new front spring to his lorry:cool2: but he still needs working on to persuade him to come:nono:,talk dirty to him and it may just work.He might be put off by the 'no rubber' rule though,what do others think?:red:We could fit it in with the team building and crossing the river,it would certainly give Westdown something to think about:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DaveP

Dougy you know you want to come and play again this year, we have some mud for you to play in. Well to be truefull there is a lot of mud to play in, well to be totally truefull the bloody place is coverd in the stuff. We have so much of it we need you to come and take some away.

The stone track ways are pretty clear of mud but we do have some good of roading for folk who fancy a go at it, the rest of us will stand back and watch Dave P pull you out. If there is anyone out there that is thinking on joining us on this weekend and hasn't put there name down yet, nows the time, we are going to need to know some sort of numbers of attendance.

Not sure but I think Jack is still working on getting some of the route to victory vehicles over for a visit so everyone push up a bit and stop hogging all the sand bags.

Everything is more or less in place, just a few minor things like grass cutting and last minute jobs needs sorting.

Its getting near the time were I start panicing so bare with me, remember this weekend is a pre season get together, a place to put faces to names, share a beer or two and have a good drive around Salisbury Plain.

Reading some treads I have noticed there will be a camcorder on site, magic now that will keep folk on there toes.

I will be posting a mobil number on the forum very soon, this is if you need to contact me or any of the SPTA team at any point. So thats about it, I think I have coverd everything.

All the best and see you all soon.

Tony

Ooops!! :red: Sorry sir - forgot about that spell of nastiness you had. :red:

If you can afford to get get to Dover Ferry port next Thursday, AM, I can pick you up from the port and take you down to the plains..

Think about it and let me know if you can - offer is there mate, sorry I can't collect from the Netherlands.

Tony - Degsy just made a good point over in the thread on tracked vehicles - he says

Some of the paths we may use have "vehicular rights of way on them" so the OT 90 would need to be registered and an appropriate driving licence.

I think the license is covered by "L" plates as I've a full license.

But the OT will not be registered with the DVLA by then. As regards lighting equipment etc. it will be fully compliant with UK regs, it's just that it won't have a registration number/plates - only it's Czech ones.

Will this be a problem do you think????

Neil is the OT-90 fully road legal? if so then there is not a problem. All vehicles that come to the ranges will be treated the same as if they were on the roads. Full driving licence, tax, MOT and insurance. If you can give me any more on your sutuation reguarding the vehicle I will find out just how it stands. Would it be legal to drive at W&P, so on, if so I cant see anything wrong.

I'm assured by Russian Military that it is fully road legal mate - headlights, indicators, sidelights and stop lights, mirrors, rear-view camera etc. have been fitted as required.

Insurance - It is insured with RoadSure on the same policy/cover level as the Stalwart & LandRover.

License - will be on "L" plates as I don't yet have a full class H ticket.

Literally the only thing it wont have will be UK registration plates and - if necessary depending on how they classify it (hoping for Historic Military Vehicle) - a tax disc as I have to get it registered with DVLA.

I believe it would be legal to drive at W&P - if shipped there on a low-loader as wouldn't be legal to drive it there till registered.

Hope this helps and I don't have to cancel!!!!!

Neil,

I think you need to be very careful here, if it's not registered then technially it isn't fully road leagal. What year was it built? If after 1972 then tax will be required and if you drive it on public roads (or public rights of way) without paying the tax you are comitting a crime. I have only driven unregistered vehicles on the roads to and from the MoT test station, literally 2 miles away. I think anything more is pushing your luck, especially when it isn't difficult and doesn't take long to register the vehicle.

Chris

Did ask about this Chris - it's the first one they've had coming through thats going to be used on the road, though, and they were unsure themselves. Done pleanty of Zils etc but the tracked bit worried them. Also they've literally just finished the work on it.

When I'm up there on Friday I'll get the paper work and and kick off the registration business when I get back in the afternoon.

Problem I see will be if they want to have a look at it (SVA ???) before issuing registration numbers and a tax disc (paid or free). If thats the case then I might as well can the low-loader trip to the plains right now :cry: and just get it dropped at Yeldham as I can't see a beaurocracy like DVLA taking an application from Dagenham and visiting up in Cambridgeshire!!

What a bummer after all this effort in trying to get it there!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Addenedum - just rung local DVLA office - they see no problems in registering the OT - BUT - process will take 7 to 10 days!! So unless the SPTA team can come up with an alternative it looks like I'm stuffed & will have to cancel!! :cry: :cry:

Hi Neil,

As Chris has mentioned, I would be very careful on this matter: All range tracks are subject to public rights of way. All vehicles that attend this event must be fully road legal. I can make a few phone calls for you but I really can't see any way around this other than hoping DVLA can get you sorted before the trip!

The plains are patrolled constantly by MOD plod and civvie alike. Please mate don't take the chance, We can get around most things but we are not above the law when it comes to driving unregisterd vehicles. We see folk every weekend turn up on the plains with un-taxed 4X4s and moto crossers and they don't like the outcome of the fines.

At the end of the day you have the FFR to bring and you will still have a great time driving in convoy. We do not descriminate anyone, it makes no difference whether you turn up in a tank or on a push bike... The thing is you come over and support what we are trying to do down here.

There will always be next year and the year after so you will get it here at some point.

All the best,

Tony.

Cheers Tony - I'll have to keep fingers crossed on the DVLA as the run down in the FFR isn't something to be undertaken lightly. The run to and from Pirbright last year was about the limit of how far I'd take her currently as only one tank is working whilst the fuel gauge isn't! - plus I'm not sure the ankles will be able to take the driving position right now. That is/was one of the plus points of the OT - room to move the feet!! :)