Wehrmacht soldiers and vehicles

abn deuce

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a childs car. It is a giant inflatable German........controlled by a real German in a rabbit outfit disguise.

....................is that a daft enough explaination ?

I think you've all got this wrong , the rabbit is taking driving lessons in a JEGEMV jet engined ground exploding missile vehicle :)

On a serious note some very interesting pics

The symbol on the lead Schwimmwagen isn't LSSAH, that was shield shaped. Assuming it is SS, I am afraid my memory of div signs is long gone. I was going to suggest Wiking but I am sure they were in Russia in 1942 and on second thoughts wasn't their badge a circular swastika? No good. Had to Google it. Got the Wiking badge right.

No I have better things to do (like pretend to work).

No, Wiki gave me all the SS divisional badges and it isn't there.

Strange the things you learn from these forums I'd have thought looking at the said symbol that it was just a warning symbol to warn of there been a revolving wheel when its in the water , this been four wheel drive swimmer

Edited by phil munga
more to add

• 2 weeks later...

German army confiscated almost every vehicle they could lay their hands on , also the Belgian heavy artillery tractors "Brossel". After taking it here in Belgium , one of the tractors were send to the Eastern front , where the machine was very useful for the German invaders. The story goes , the German commander send a letter to the Brossel factory , to say thank you for the superb tractors. One of the tractors is in the Artillery Museum in Brasschaat , near Antwerp, where it is going to be restored.

German army confiscated almost every vehicle they could lay their hands on , also the Belgian heavy artillery tractors "Brossel". After taking it here in Belgium , one of the tractors were send to the Eastern front , where the machine was very useful for the German invaders. The story goes , the German commander send a letter to the Brossel factory , to say thank you for the superb tractors. One of the tractors is in the Artillery Museum in Brasschaat , near Antwerp, where it is going to be restored.

The Wehrmacht wasn't all that mechanised. A lot of the transport, medical and field artillery units were horse-drawn. Naturally they incorporated a lot of captured and confiscated vehicles into their system.

Certainly a lot of foreign equipment appeared as "Schwarzes Bestand" - ie they had them, but not "on the books" My maternal great-uncle (who was with the Wehrmacht in France in 1940) used to bug me by thanking us British for supplying so much equipment for free at Dunkirk! He sung the praises of the Morris CS8, which apparantly replaced his Kubelwagen after some nasty anti-tank gunner destroyed it!

Edited by schliesser92
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Strange, especially considering the German marking is still there.

Just quickly....

There appears to be some writing next to the star ?? possibly soldier art or unit emblem, also it would appear that the soldier third from left still has the tri-colour on his helmet which should of (officially) been removed in April 1940 the theatre is hard to detirmine and more study is required.

Ashley

• 4 weeks later...