WW1 Panzer Auto

Rick W

the ones you posted Rick according to my encyclopedia of armoured cars says that they are British Peerless armoured cars ie Austin world war I bodies on American Peerless lorry chassis . The Peerless was widely used and some were still in service as late as 1939

Sure about that?

Differences are - Front axle and hubs, rear lower body shape, windscreen/roof, bonnet top, front overhang.......

Sorry, but I've recently been pulled up for certain Saab identification irregularities and I've got to get my own back somewhere :evil:

Double rear wheels suggest its a later 1918 variant ( I think), but I dont think they ever saw any action. It could be an Austin-Putilov, but I dont think so. As for the chassis, they were changed onto different chassis like the Willys and Ford tubs/chassis in later years. The bodies could be mounted on White, Fiat and Packard chassis. So maybe the front was a modification too?

Cant quite make out the description apart from it says Panzerauto, looks like its sporting 2 MGs in 2 turrets. Anyone know if this was a one off or manufactured?

width=640 height=482http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/IMAG0015.jpg[/img]

Judging by the insignia on the front this vehicle could be in service with the Friekorps during the in immediate post WW 1period.

Ashley

It does look remarkably similar to that one, but I dont recognise it as being a Packard (although it might be). Lots and lots of one offs were built using whatever chassis were available so it might be anything.

You were quite right about the markings on it. That would suggest German from 1919 to late 1920's.

Very interesting.

Tim (too)

Judging by the insignia on the front this vehicle could be in service with the Friekorps during the in immediate post WW 1period.

Ashley

That gives me a warm feeling because clarifying and magnifying to 3*, the writing suggests to me that it took place in fighting on what I made out to be 1 - 2 Mar 19. Looking again it is more likely 1 - 2 Mai 19 (May).

The barrel of the left-hand gun (right-hand as we look at it) looks to me like it has a water cooling jacket. Not sure. Not sure about the other - doesn't look the same but I cannot be sure, and why do that?

Not far off the mark Tony. Freikorps were formed after the WW1. Senior German officers recruited soldiers for their own "private" armies. Mostly to defend against any possible invasion by the newly formed Red army. They were also used to crush a communist uprising in Germany after that. Some 30,000 Freikorps killed 600 communists in Germany. Another german officer also had his own little private army. A certain Mr Hitler, who then dissolved the Freikorps in 1921 (I think), and formed the Sturm Abteilung, Storm Troopers to you and I. These were under the general command of Ernst Roehm until 1929 (I think) until A Mr Himmler took over.

Another example of Freikorps markings, this time on a Garford Putilov.

width=500 height=338http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/GarfordPutilovFreikorps.jpg[/img]

The uniforms are typical of the Freikorps you may have noticed the trooper on the left wearing a stahlhelm with out a front peak........ made for the Turkish army (Muslims) but never dispatched.

Atypical photo of the period from the dapper Officer to the trooper wearing a uniform that looks two sizes to big for him.

Ashley