Mystery Object No.69

fv1609

metrelogical

Nope

wind strength

Nope

chemical reaction to inflate it ??

Yes, very good. He has added water from the bucket, to a container at the base of the balloon.

So just looking for its function now.

to lift an areial above the tree line,

That is an excellent suggestion, as RF communications from the jungle would be very difficult. if that was the purpose I'm sure it would be a camo balloon.

You're not to know this but it was apparently bright orange........ which means:

to mark an air drop position.

Yes, well done!

With holding vital information again!!! :schocked:

And why not?

If I showed a picture of a complete balloon & said it was bright orange, one post & the game would be over. ;-)

and besides we would rob Tony the satisfaction of having deduced his way to winning another one :-D

Looks like a wartime pic to me: censor has had a good go at the beret badge of the man on the right, though possibly not good enough as it likes RA to me.

Maybe it's the Royal Artillery Concert Party? (Thinks Windsor Davies, "Lovely pair of shoulders lad. Show them off, show them off.")

The caption reads: "This marker balloon is used by jungle patrols to signal aircraft. It is blown up by adding water to a chemical in a container attached to the envelope. Then it is allowed to rise above the trees, where its orange plastic skin is easily seen. Its job done, it is cut loose."

Was in a 1956 article about the Malayan Emergency.