? 1939 3S Deluxe impressed WD

Oggie800

IMG_0278.jpeg.bf0c99db43f1bed825f3d196724e7200.jpegIMG_0288.jpeg.861253236f3331733fc12fa9db819b4c.jpegGood Morning All

Thank you for accepting me onto the forum.

Hello from East Yorkshire.😁

I am new to vintage bikes and have been looking at purchasing what has been described as an impressed 1939 Triumph 3S deluxe.

I have since Purchased the bike.

I am having difficulty verifying the frame and engine numbers and was hoping that you very knowledgeable people would be able to shed any light on this for me.

The frame is Stamped TL.18932 but information I have found shows that 1939 TL numbers only go up to 11642?

The engine does not have a prefix and is stamped 3S 29227.  Additional military stamping is present with the Broad Arrow above M and 68 below along with, what I assume is the contract number of, C 5108

Please see images I have now uploaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Oggie800

There's nothing impressed about it. The engine is from War Office contract C5108 for 3300 3SW's delivered in 1940. As Lex said, the frame number falls into the 5SW contract (C7828) for 1322 bikes in 1940....But there are gaps in the numbers.

Ron

• Thanks 1

Guide to buying British WD bikes!

1 Buy the book!! 

2 Buy the book!!

3 Read the book!!

4 Then take a knowledgeable person with you, and go buy a bike.

Sorry, had to say it.

Lex

PS, last edition is best of course, with the black and white picture on the cover.

550x820.jpg

BFM1.jpg

BFM2.jpg

Edited by welbike
  • Thanks 1

The 5SW frame numbers were TL 18330-TL20833 (with gaps) and only 1322 bikes ordered for the main contract and then 2 smaller contracts with numbers unknown. That still makes over 1000 frames unaccounted for. Sadly lots of the records were lost after the factory was bombed in 1940.

I've helped with the Dutch register in the past https://wdtriumph.com/ and I have come up with a  formula for the 5SW frame to engine number sequence. Which wont help in this case. I think we only have 7 or 8 complete genuine 5SW's so far. 

War time Triumph numbers for the 3 WD models started after your quoted TL11642 and went over TL58000. 

It would be quite safe to restore that bike into WD spec.  Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ron said:

There's nothing impressed about it. The engine is from War Office contract C5108 for 3300 3SW's delivered in 1940. As Lex said, the frame number falls into the 5SW contract (C7828) for 1322 bikes in 1940....But there are gaps in the numbers.

Ron

Thanks Ron

The tank marking is as per the contract number of the engine but if the frame is 5SW with a different contract number which of these, if any, should be marked on the tank?