What to visit in London area and south of England?

Hi all.

I'm going to stay three months in London for work. I'll arrive next week, and I'm wondering if you guy could tell me what things would be interesting for me to visit. I'm a collector of American WW2 vehicles and WW2 American militaria. I'm owning a GMC CCKW and a Dodge WC 63. I'm interested in everything related to military vehicles, militaria stuff and war history. I would be pleased visiting historical sites and museums about life in England during world war two.

Thank you in advance for the advices you'll provide me.

Regards

Yves

My wife just asked me to book tickets for Tutenkhamen at the O2 Arena. Tickets are selling so fast I had to settle for week after next. I got only on conditional we spent two days and visited the Imperial War Museum (Google it) the second day.

My colleagues on the Army Rumour Service assure me that the IWM is not to be missed. It's a short walk from Waterloo Station.

Cor where to start? The National Army museum Chelsea, free admission. the Firepower museum Woolwich. All the Museums in Kensington especially the V&A armoury. Free of charge. The Royal Engineers Museum Chatham, and the Royal Dockyard also at Chatham. the Battle of Britian Museum at Shoreham. Tilbury fort at Tilbury and Coalhouse fort down the road. The Imperial War Museum at south London, nr Elephant & Castle. For a bit of travel, Duxford is about an hour up the M11. Will you have time to work? :-D

P.S. which bit of London will you be in?

Also RAF museum at Hendon, west London.

Here's a couple of sites to help you, you will find that these are a mix of military and non military, all very interesting nontheless.

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/venues/london/selection/61/Museums_Galleries_and_Tourist_Attractions

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/venues/london/selection/241

A very popular way to tour around is to take the Duck Tour, these are ex-military DUKW's used to take the troops ashore on the D-Day landings.

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

Don't forget to soak up some of London's heritage, a day ticket on any of the open top bus tours allows you to hop on, hop off, all day. Great for getting the feel of where you would like to go when time and money permit.

Don't forget to soak up some of London's heritage, a day ticket on any of the open top bus tours allows you to hop on, hop off, all day. Great for getting the feel of where you would like to go when time and money permit.

And weather too. :| :whistle:

Thank you General Mayhem for these tips. I'll take a look.

Thank you Nick for the invitation, I'll contact you some day.

you could always catch a train to dover and then go around the castle and the war tunnels underground in a day its a short walk from the train station or cheat and grab a ferry bus down to the docks and then walk up the hill or if into navel could get a national express coach or train to portsmouth and visit the dockyards

If you have time after all these good suggestions,

....... Bovington Tank Museum has a large range of tracked and non tracked vehicles medals uniforms etc.Though i am not sure how much the building works being carried out interfeere with the public :dunno:

Ashley

Thanks Tony.

I'll be in the City of London, the business area in the center. I won't have any car. I'll travel using the Tube and train.

Your best bet then is get a monthly all zone travel card, that will give unlimted use of tube buses dockland light railway and the nrew overground service plus rail tarins in TFL area. See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Let us know when you are in the Smoke and we can arrange things.

Your best bet then is get a monthly all zone travel card, that will give unlimted use of tube buses dockland light railway and the nrew overground service plus rail tarins in TFL area. See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Let us know when you are in the Smoke and we can arrange things.

Thanks Tony.

I'll arrive next Friday. I don't know if I will pick the all zone travel card. I think I'll mostly need the two or three inner zones. And when going into the other ones, I'll can pay the additional fees.

Thanks Tony.

I'll arrive next Friday. I don't know if I will pick the all zone travel card. I think I'll mostly need the two or three inner zones. And when going into the other ones, I'll can pay the additional fees.

Buy an Oyster card to travel in London an electronic swipe card. the cheapest way to travel, buy online or at any station/newsagents, just top up as you use it. see:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx

Dare we turn unspecting forigen visitors loose on the Great bearded one? I have to admit that is something you won't forget :-D The easy answer is we could fill your 3 months with various places. Within your travel card are 1 All the museums at Kensington, 2 National Army museum, 3 Cabinet War rooms and horse gaurds, 4 Imperial War Museum at Elephant and Castle. 5 Firepower at Woolwich 6 RAF Museum Hendon. It is worth getting a lift up to IWM Duxford. Also if you can fit it in the London Transport museum at Covent garden, the whole area is worth a walk round as it includes Drury lane and Theatre land. (Bloody hell I'm turning into one of Kenny's little helpers :shake:)

If you have time after all these good suggestions,

....... Bovington Tank Museum has a large range of tracked and non tracked vehicles medals uniforms etc.Though i am not sure how much the building works being carried out interfeere with the public :dunno:

Ashley

When DRAC invited me to the open day in June, the building work had severely condensed the displays but the quality of display was not noticeably worse than it ever was. ISTR the new building is due to open in February. I'd like to think DRAC will invite me to be there.

I'll let you know.

;o)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, ive pm'd you my mobile number, you can come to chatham militaria fair with me and the boys. Lunch after in east end cafe, Ive got a spare kevlar vest you can borrow :whistle:

You going on the 9th, then ??

(looking to have a stall up there,..........if I get up early enough. :sweat: need to be there for 5.30, gulp.............)