MILITARY RADIO'S

Bazz

• 2 months later...
Wow - I'm suprised - and shocked - as I'd heard that all units should have moved to Bowman by 2005/6. Something to do with using the SkyNet satellite comms??

Although from past, personal, experience of the MOD I suppose I shouldn't be.......

:-D

Ah - SkyNet !

Is it just me and my kids that laugh and say "I'll be back" whenever SkyNet is mentioned ????

(We hear a lot about SkyNet cos my company is heavily involved)

:-D

Nowadays maybe yes. But some of us are Cold War Warriors who spent our time, to quote Freddie Mercury "under the shadow of a mushroom cloud" and communications needed to be hardened to protect against EMP (and run an HF Guard Net that might just work through an atmosphere clogged with particles producing ionising radiation.

I worked for Vodafone. About 15 years ago the Management were concerned about the affects of EMP during a Nuclear war might affect the Datacentres. My reply was that if a Nuclear war started, making sure datacentres were clean and tidy was not high on my list of priorities!