MILITARY RADIO'S

Bazz

Doe's anybody have any teaching aids on Clansman Radios, as I've "volunteered" to teach some Cadets this subject at our christmas camp 1-2 Dec.

thanks, Baz.

So what mob sponsors your unit? Which leads me to ... What sort of Clansman? I doubt you are teaching them the 321 (does anybody still use HF?) and ISTR they were cutting back on the number of 353s per vehicle shortly after I left cos only the ACVs and the rebros needed two meaty sets.

Once you are talking 352, 351, 349 et al, they are infantry sets and therefore supposedly idiot-proof.

Is any regular unit syill current on Clansman??? I thought Bowman replaced the Clansman system a few years ago????

LD (who were 15/19H when Baz and I were in) only converted to Bowman earlier this year prior to deploying to Helmand as a battlegroup.

The main reason the Light Dragoons were late in converting to Bowman is that the said system isn't very CVR(T) friendly, especially in the Veh harness dept.

Baz.

Which you have to laugh at. CVR(T) and Clansman were contemporary, but the government of the day could only afford one or the other. Asked to choose, the Army chose CVR(T) then proceeded to shoehorn two Larkspur sets into a CVR(T) turret, a very tight fit.

And believe it or not, even before we got Clansman, I remember reading a Soldier magazine in BAOR reporting on how Bowman would be the next big thing. I never dreamt it would be nearly 30 years later.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that the British Army would only consider actions in countries that had good Vodafone coverage.

Well they won't be attacking Winchester then.

Sat here in Hursley on the outskirts, our Software Development Laboratory has an O2 mast on top of D Block, right above my head.

I recently heard about Vodafone coming to gave a demonstration. As the two guys walked in, the security guard joked, "I hope you don't want to call out your on mobile phone. There is no coverage in Hursley."

The two stopped in their tracks and looked at one another, "Can I borrow your landline?" He called HQ Vodafone. "Hello it's Bert. Alf and I are about to give a demo in a few minutes but we have no coverage. Can you boost the output from the Crawley transmitter to 100% for the rest of the day? Thanks." Apparently all the Vodafone users (there aren't many: we all know there is no coverage) got good reception that day.

Bring back the Carrier Pigeon. One pigeon is reputed to have flown through hell and back during the Great War to deliver the message, 'I'm sick of carting this pigeon about'. Another story is of four carrier pigeons sent to Canadian outpost. 'One returned with the message 'Delicious please send some more'. :coffee2:

• 4 months later...

mentioning radios can anyone help me out with a list of what i would need to fit a 353 and a 352 into a S3 FFR landy because i havent got the faintest idea, its probably really simple and i am just been abit dopey lol

mentioning radios can anyone help me out with a list of what i would need to fit a 353 and a 352 into a S3 FFR landy because i havent got the faintest idea, its probably really simple and i am just been abit dopey lol

Istr there was a Clansman installation kit on a separate CES for Land Rovers. If you can track that down it might save you an awful lot of grief.

Istr there was a Clansman installation kit on a separate CES for Land Rovers. If you can track that down it might save you an awful lot of grief.

Take your pick::yay:

Radio fitting Instructions.

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover. UK/PRC-351/2 in FFR only.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 2.June 1977.48 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover. UK/PRC-351/2 in GS only.Including TUL/TUM.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 4.Feb 1989.

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,TUL and TUM,FFR and GS,Rover,UK/VRC-353Z.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 8.Sept 1981.28 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Distribution box 15 way DC power.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 10.Dec 1979.10 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Loudspeaker and amplifier in trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR only.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 16 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Set combining box (SCB) or remote combining unit (RCU) in FFR Rover only.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 13.Feb 1987.20 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Clansman secure speech harness.(Phase one) in FFR with UK/VRC-353z installed.Army code no 61590.16 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Installation of VHF rebroadcast station with interconnecting box,rebroadcasting unit into trucks 1/2 and 3/4 ton FFR,Rover.Army code no 61590.Part 7.Supp 16.June 1980.44 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Multiset arrangements with set combining box in trucks 1/2 and 3/4 ton FFR,Rover.Army code no 61590.Part 8.Supp 1.June 1977.20 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.UK/PRC-320 and UK/PRC-351/2 with set combining box in FFR Rover only.Army code no 61590.Part 8.Supp 2.Feb 1980.16 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Test equipment and ancillaries.Army code no 61590.Part 9.June 1979.14 sides.Covers test set radio,condition,test set radio,audio accessories,test set harness connectors.

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.UK/VRC 321 and UK/VRC 353Z with or without DM box Clansman in trucks 1/2 and 3/4 ton FFR,Rover..Army code no 61590.Part 10.Supp 1.July 1980.12 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.UK/PRC 320 and UK/VRC 353Z with or without DM box Clansman in trucks 1/2 and 3/4 ton FFR,Rover.Army code no 61590.Part 10.Supp 2.July 1980.12 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.UK/351/2 and UK/VRC 353Z in trucks 1/2 and 3/4 ton FFR,Rover..Army code no 61590.Part 10.Supp 3.July 1980.12 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.Dual UK/VRC 353Z with or without CCSH(phase 1) remoting facilities (DM box Clansman) in trucks 3/4 ton FFR,Rover.Army code no 61590.Part 10.Supp 5.April 1982.26 sides

User handbook for Clansman radio installations in Trucks,1/2 and 3/4 ton,FFR and GS,Rover.UK/PRC 320,UK/VRC 353 and UK/VRC 353Z in trucks 3/4 ton FFR,Rover.Army code no 61590.Part 10.Supp 6.Feb 1980.12 sides

and to help someone get rich and you get poorer - all the above available from:

www.vintagemvmanuals.co.uk

look under vehicle groups and scan down to Landrover

I heard that the British Army would only consider actions in countries that had good Vodafone coverage.

There is an alternative solution for low coverage areas, but it's limited to line of sight, the availability of yoghurt pots, and how quickly the string dries out.

I thought the majority of the British Army relied on 02,Orange and 1 to 1? :whistle:

Nowadays maybe yes. But some of us are Cold War Warriors who spent our time, to quote Freddie Mercury "under the shadow of a mushroom cloud" and communications needed to be hardened to protect against EMP (and run an HF Guard Net that might just work through an atmosphere clogged with particles producing ionising radiation.

Nowadays maybe yes. But some of us are Cold War Warriors who spent our time, to quote Freddie Mercury "under the shadow of a mushroom cloud" and communications needed to be hardened to protect against EMP (and run an HF Guard Net that might just work through an atmosphere clogged with particles producing ionising radiation.

so you did use yoghurt pots then ... I always suspected as much :coffee: