Lubrication.. What are you using?

Hi all.

I have to order some bulk oil for my vehicles and I am wondering what other owners are using in their prides and joys.

The Ward La France M1A1 states in the manual:

Engine Oil

above +32 F = SAE30

+32 to 0 F = SAE10

Gear Oil

above +32F = SAE90

+32 to 0 F = SAE 80

The FV432 is pretty clear and I will be using a classic SAE30 monograde oil in the engine and gearbox. Why? Because it is the exact spec for OMD80 oil and that is the oil the Army have been using with no problems for years.

The Series 3 Land Rover is causing me some confusion. Can I get away with using SAE30 (OMD80) as per the 432 or should I be using a 20W 50 oil in the engine. Same question with the gearbox. Should I use an 80 / 90 W gear oil (EOP220). :dunno:

My real concern is with the older WWII vehicles. I know modern oils can play havoc with the bronze bits and eat away the older type cork gaskets, etc.

Can other owners please give me their thoughts and some advice on the above. :tup:

Thankie in advance.

Markheliops

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would, and have used, straight 30 motor oil. Castrol do it and Comma oils have just released it as well. They still make an EP80 and an EP90 oil as well. You should be able to use the straight 30 in the landy but not the other way around. Dont put the 20/50 in the old'uns! :rtfm:

I run all mine old (!) and new (!!) on Valvoline 20/50 diesel and petrol, I've never had a problem with any of them. The fleet currently is The Dodge WC51 the Landy 101 ambulance, A Range Rover fitted with a 2.8 Isuzu diesiel ,and finally the Series 3 109 Safari fitted with a LR 2.5 NA 2.5 Diesiel and gear box out of a '90

Mark,

I'm currently using Morris Lubricants.

supreme 30 engine oil

AG sae90 gear oil.

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk

Jan Gilbert. 01743 237516.

These guys do supply a lot of the vintage lorry boy's and also steam engine types, :-) friendly to talk with, as well.

No involvement, on my part with company, just a satisfied customer. :-D

Hope it helps.

Andy

The Series 3 Land Rover is causing me some confusion. Can I get away with using SAE30 (OMD80) as per the 432 or should I be using a 20W 50 oil in the engine. Same question with the gearbox. Should I use an 80 / 90 W gear oil (EOP220). :dunno:

ISTR that the detergent effect of OMD has an effect on seals and that having once used OMD in an engine, you had to continue using it or the seals would burst.

But it was a long time ago (so long that we were using OMD75). I am sure there are others who can explain better.

ISTR that the detergent effect of OMD has an effect on seals and that having once used OMD in an engine, you had to continue using it or the seals would burst.

That story was probably put about in the army, to stop people knicking the engine oil :whistle:

OMD 75 was used in practically everything from a Mini to Cheiftain, the exceptions were plant equipment with Detroit Diesels, such as the Terex loaders and scrapers, which used OMD 113 oil. It was as good as any equivalent grade in your local service station at the time. I would have used hundreds of gallons of it, in army vehicles and any engine failures would usually be from other reasons.

• 2 months later...

Well this is an ongoing discussion. Markheliops and I have been speaking to Comma this afternoon about SAE 90 vs EP 90 and the results are still inconclusive. (Referring to the use of EP oil in 1940-era gearbox, transfer box and diffs.)

Does anyone have any actual, factual experience of EP90 degrading phosphor-bronze and similar components? Searches on the net and conversations bring up lots of opinions but none seem to be backed up with experience (thus far theoretical chemistry hasn't hacked it with me because no-one can tell me what timescale and precise conditions they're talking about - eg. if it takes 4000 years for a thrust washer to have all it's phosphorous leached out it's not going to be a big issue for me...)

This is important because we each need nearly 50l of oil and SAE 90 is around 4 times the price of EP90 :shake:

SAE 90 is around 4 times the price of EP90 :shake:

Ouch! Have you spoken with Morris Lubricants on both price and phospor bronze issues?

I can only say I've come across some diff thrust washers that have been fairly well etched and looked more like emental cheese.

Also something to consider is that the modern stuff is so thin and "runny" that it becomes a trade off between ultimate lubrication and ultimate retainability in diffs/boxes. I'm begining to favour the treacle (traditional straight blend) :whistle: :dunno: :dunno:

Perhaps you should persuade Mark to try some viscosity additive - not yet tried it myself, but said to reduce loss through worn shafts/seals etc.

In my landys I have used 20/50 for the engines and ep90 for gearbox.

For the amount of miles we do as MV owners, it would take years to wear out bearings/gears/rings etc.

Another thing, I have always put unleaded in my landys, even without unleaded heads with no problems at all.

In my landys I have used 20/50 for the engines and ep90 for gearbox.

For the amount of miles we do as MV owners, it would take years to wear out bearings/gears/rings etc.

Another thing, I have always put unleaded in my landys, even without unleaded heads with no problems at all.

EP 90 in a Landy gearbox?

Ouch! Have you spoken with Morris Lubricants on both price and phospor bronze issues?

I can only say I've come across some diff thrust washers that have been fairly well etched and looked more like emental cheese.

Also something to consider is that the modern stuff is so thin and "runny" that it becomes a trade off between ultimate lubrication and ultimate retainability in diffs/boxes. I'm begining to favour the treacle (traditional straight blend) :whistle: :dunno: :dunno:

Perhaps you should persuade Mark to try some viscosity additive - not yet tried it myself, but said to reduce loss through worn shafts/seals etc.

Morris Lubricants say EP90 is no good but they're the ones holding the price list...

Over on Steelsoldiers, people are saying that a GL5 oil with MT1 & MIL-PRF-2105 rating is compatible with yellow metals. I'm going to ask Comma tomorrow when they call back.

EP 90 in a Landy gearbox?

My Toyota Hiluxes were supposed to have EP85/90 or something oddball in them, I used EP90 when it was change time, and was amazed at the detrimental effect on ease of gearchanging for the first few minutes when cold! Once warm made NBD :whistle:

All series landrovers use ep90 for main gearbox and transfer box. Classic range rovers with 4 speed manual boxes use engine oil and 90/110/defenders use ATF in the main box and ep90 in the transfer box. :roll: They all use ep90 in the diffs aswell.

Thanks - my stupid :blush: - only been playing with 110s recently...

Incidentally and by way of getting back to my original track - do series LR gearboxes not have any yellow metal components?

That be 101 gearboxes you be thinking of. Good to see that some of my knowledge has rubbed off on you over the years...

How spooky is that? I just made reference to Grasshopper (thinking of the Kung Fu TV series) in another thread, then realise there is a member by that name. No offence intended.

How spooky is that? I just made reference to Grasshopper (thinking of the Kung Fu TV series) in another thread, then realise there is a member by that name. No offence intended.

That's exactly where his name came from :-). One of our guys called him that because he felt he'd taken him under his wing. Bless :n00b: