Willys jeep oil pressure

No Signals

Or more to the point, the lack of it.  Not by choice, but I did a ten mile run up the motorway the other day.  When I came off I had to stop, as I had a traffic light against me, and I noticed the oil pressure drop down to zero, or maybe +5.  I revved the engine to see if it recovered any and it did, a bit.  When I got moving again it went back up to 40 (ish). 

Is this something that I should get investigated or is it something to associate with old jeeps?

The engine was professionally rebuilt a couple of years ago, maybe 2000 miles?

I've  had this happen to me. In my case it was the oil pick up pipe in the sump. Air was being sucked in at the pivot of the pick up. On speaking to other jeep owners they advised slightly overfilling the sump oil got around the issue. Thd proper solution was a new pick up, but then they weren't readily available, not sure about these days?

16 hours ago, G506 said:

I've  had this happen to me. In my case it was the oil pick up pipe in the sump. Air was being sucked in at the pivot of the pick up. On speaking to other jeep owners they advised slightly overfilling the sump oil got around the issue. Thd proper solution was a new pick up, but then they weren't readily available, not sure about these days?

Or if pushed. Remove sump pan to gain access to pick up pipe. Remove pipe & the pin hole, or split.   Could then be repaired by brazing. Dosent have to be a neat job, as it wont be seen inside the engine!

• 1 month later...

Another possibility is your relief valve stuck in the open position.  When the engine is cold, remove the relief valve cap nut and spring,  With a flexi magnet pull the plunger out and give it a gentle polish with very fine steel wool.

I strongly advise you to use 20W/50 oil as the viscosity between hot and cold is far more consistent than straight 40 weight.

47 years of experience with MB's 😁

Cheers

• Like 1