Ferret runflat ring removal

robin craig

Question

Good day,

We are breaking a Ferret for the component parts to ensure several others continue to run.

What can anyone tell us about getting the runflat ring out after removing air from the assembly and splitting the wheel halves.

We do do not have access to a tyre spreader like Sirhc has. We will be working with basic tools available here in the colonies.

Putting the kettle on now.....

13 answers to this question

I believe on Panther, the field solution was to put a pack strap around the run flat and make it into a fig 8.  Would need levering or pack strap at 90 degrees to original to extract from tyre.   I assume the run flat is a doughnut.

T

On 5/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, robin craig said:

Oh Chris (Sirhc) bless you my child for alleviating my concerns. You fill me with confidence to get this done, really you do, never had a bad bit of advice from you ever. Thank you chum

as Chris says getting the RF inserts out is not a problem. The difficult bits are;

a) getting the beads off the rims in the first place; and/or

b) getting the RF insert back into the tyre whilst fiddling with the inner tube valve stem is a swear word job especially without "the tool"

You may find this useful, after all our forefathers did all this in the war (extract from Morris Commercial fitted with Dunlop RF 9.00 x 16 , ie the same tyres that then went on to be used on Ferret)

1. RF tyre removal 001.jpg

2. RF insert removal 001.jpg

3. RF refitting the insert 001.jpg

Edited by john fox

Hi John,

Thanks for the pictures from the manual.  I expect they will be very useful to everyone doing this work.  As I was going down the wrong path at the start, I appreciate everyone's great advice on this.  From what I had read, I thought the step of splitting the rims was the biggest issue, not removing the RF insert from the tire.

12 hours ago, raeross said:

From what I had read, I thought the step of splitting the rims was the biggest issue, not removing the RF insert from the tire.

splitting the rims is nonetheless the dangerous part of the job if you "cheat" by not fully deflating the tyre (valve out to be certain). The only safe way to remove from rims is to do it with brute force and that is a pig of a job

Edited by john fox