New battery rules for acid

Has anyone had any problems with new battery supplies, now that you can only get batteries delivered dry, and you have to be a licenced person to buy sulphuric acid to put in them? Need to replace my 6v battery on the jeep soon, and just been noticing that no one can supply a filled battery, or a dry one with bottles of acid, as in years gone bye?

Does anyone know where you can purchase acid on line?

Thanks

I purchased a 6V battery last week as the old one died, and I went for the 6V Optima RTS2.1 'Red Top' after hearing very good reviews from numerous people with MV's. It is a 50ah (800CCA) maintenance-free , fully closed AGM battery, so you can't add acid if you wanted to. Maybe it's a option for you?

If the 'modern' appearance is a problem, most people buy a fake original-looking case specially made for the Optima or gut an old 6V battery and put the Optima in it. I'm going to attempt the latter with my dead battery.

6v.jpg.7fa37cf0249ae46ca2fba0f60bd98d44.jpg

Thanks for the information.

The new rules just came in this year, but i might give the chemicals one a call to see if they still do it.

The optima option also looks good, and I would need to use an old battery case, or a replica, to hide it from view, but seems a good option if all else fails.

I just got a 6volt, 140Ah battery yesterday from Tayna ( https://www.tayna.co.uk ). It came with acid already in it, on a pallet to stop it being tipped over, all wrapped up in plastic. Ordered late on Sunday, arrived Tuesday. Perfect fit in my Dodge WC51.

2022_battery1.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The suppliers will send it to a garage ..so just approach a local garage and agree a fee to get the battery delivered to them and charged ...ideally you want a old family garage or classic car garage who have experience of handling acid 

Regards

Chris

23 hours ago, ja020 said:

The optima option also looks good, and I would need to use an old battery case, or a replica, to hide it from view, but seems a good option if all else fails.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=221520&p=1307693&view=show#p1307693

This is how one guy re-purposed an old (original) battery, but I have also seen the top being cut off from above for slightly shallower donor batteries, and the top 'plate' being replace by thin plastic sheet with holes cut for the Optima poles to stick through. On this plate the plastic 'ribs' and lead connectors of the old battery were glued for looks. If this description makes sense?
Anyway, here are some pics of the latter method: https://forum.ktr.nl/index.php/topic,3092.msg25134.html#msg25134

The big plus (pun intended) of the Optima is that it holds its charge for a very long time, and when not in use it only requires one 8-12-hr stint on a charger every 6 months or so.

I had to shop around a bit, but I found a deal for the Optima for exactly the same price as a generic 6V standard battery, shipping included.

Thanks for all the useful info and advice. My old battery is 6 years old now, and the top part is starting to crack at the cell joints, so time for a new one. I will definately keep the old case, as it looks just like an original supplied one, so could be utilised as suggested. Searching around, it seems some companies will not deliver a battery with acid, whilst others do not have a problem, so it looks like I will be asking one of them to supply my next one.

1 hour ago, ja020 said:

....My old battery is 6 years old now, and the top part is starting to crack at the cell joints.....

My Dodge one was 15+ years old ( at least that I know of ) and was still getting by, but not holding charge as well. That was also cracking around the terminals, leaking fluid and forming crystals. If it hadn't been leaking, I might have tried to keep it going another year!!

Tayna seem to have no problem sending the battery with acid. Mine was pre-filled, so was one bought by a friend recently.

My old battery was also a LIncon, and apart from the cracked top, still works OK. Lincon would only supply a dry battery, but not the acid to go with it.

As suggested, Tayna have no problems sending a replacement, so they get my business this time.

• 10 months later...

The relevant regulations are the known as the Explosives Precursors and Posions Regulations. they include The  Control of Poisons and Explosives Precursors Regulations 2015 and  The Poisons Act 1972 (Explosives Precursors)(Amendment) Regulations 2018. Guidance here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licensing-for-home-users-of-explosives-precursors/licensing-for-home-users-of-poisons-and-explosive-precursors

https://www.protectuk.police.uk/advice-and-guidance/awareness/poisons-act-1972-selling-chemicals-responsibly

A couple of things are noteworthy.  First is that they are retrospective so something you have owned for years could now be illegal and possibly get you locked up. Second is that they only apply to members of the pubilic. Business and professional users don't need a licence. This means if you have a VAT number or Limited Company you are covered.
You can buy a filled battery but not a dry charged one with acid, or just acid over 15%.
Technically if yu tip the aicd out of a charged battery into a container you need an EPP licence....
I note a number of ebay sellers are deliberatly circumventing the rules by selling battery electrolyte rather than acid.