Ferret 12v Batteries

Hi, recently purchased a Ferret MK2/7. Needs new main batteries. Q:what are the best lead acid batteries (12V-60Ah) for the RH/LH side and why? Understand there are package restrictions (L-H-W) if LH battery has an isolator switch. What was the original spec? IamaFerret

I got a pair from eBay, Type 096 100 78ah which are a bit over spec but fit nicely and were £86 delivered for the 2 from numberonebatteries. I did use a 10% eBay discount voucher so they will be a bit more without one. Don't forget to take your old batteries to the scrap man, I got £14 back for the 2 old ones so overall it was a £72 upgrade 😁

• 1 year later...

I used a pair of Odyssey PC925 mounted in just one of the side bins with a block of lumber to make up the extra space.  Battery energy density has improved greatly over the years and the Ferret has very minimal requirements (so long as you aren't sitting stationary for many hours running a Larkspur setup).  The lack of free acid is nice in terms of not rotting out the metalwork.

I found the pair of PC925 would crank the motor easily long enough to deal with a carburetor totally empty of fuel even in winter and with a leaky tank selector valve... so several minutes in 30-second intervals.

That said, if I were to do it again, I'd use some of the tricky lithium batteries they have now for the reduced self-drain.

Edited by teletech