Registering a imported GPW Jeep with the DVLA

Johnbo89

Question

Hi all, 

I recently brought an imported GPW from Arizona.   The US title number is completely different to the chassis number. 

The Jeep is currently going under restoration.

I'm just wondering how you go about filling the V55/5 in,  and should you include the US title with the form ?  I have a IMPS verified certificate. 

any advise or help would be great as im going in circles with the DVLA 

many thanks. 

9 answers to this question

It could be a French MALT all be it with a Willys chassis & body , the chassis branding could be a French No.   It could have been rung in USA , it could have gone through official military rebuild in UK , Greece , Germany etc.   When the $ was right they would Hoover them up all over.

Selling J$$p from a 'dry-state' marketing , like re-imports of Jag. E type , MGB etc. back to UK around 1980. 

The USA title number would normally include the vin number and engine number p?us a description of the vehicle ... With a WW2 jeep it may use the chassis number but should include a description ...

This varies by state but demonstrates legal ownership ..The   DMV . Should be able to confirm you have correct title

Curious have co successfully completed your nova ? The import and tax forms

with the Confirmed DMV forms. Completed NOVA you should be able to register the vehicle 

The challenge. You have is you need to show correct title to register a vehicle in the UK and that's all linked to ID numbers ...

Wrongful conversion is selling a vehicle without correct title and you a may have  right of recovery against the.importer or at least require him to secure the title evidence required for the uk.

Most importers sort out the NOVA and V5 as it increases the vehicles value .

Jenkinov

Is it the case that an overseas authority, not finding an original chassis number has applied a 17-digit VIN number which is still  on the chassis ? If so, it should be quite possible to register in the UK on that basis but I believe that the original number should be cancelled by over-stamping....If you wish it to be registered using the factory number then that ought to be possible but it's going to require the services of an authorised club with a clued-up and motivated Dating Officer...Not all of them are.  It's quite common to find vehicles registered on casting numbers and that sort of thing and with perseverance, this can usually be sorted out.

Have you inspected the chassis for the number in the usual place, forward of the engine mount on the top of the left hand chassis rail. If that is present I can help you with verification for the DVLA.

John Young

MVPG

(Military Vehicle Preservation Group)

If this is the jeep that I recently supplied an IMPS Age Related letter for then all you have to do, as I told you, is to contact HMRC to change the NOVA which was issued using the Arizona ID to show the GPW number that was perfectly plain to see on the chassis member.

As I told you the Arizona number has no relevance in the UK for dating or registration purposes. You have a dating letter so having got HMRC to change the NOVA and then submit the V55/5 using the correct Ford chassis number

• Like 1