RAF ABERPORTH, WALES 595 Squadron

PHB

My late Grandfather was based as a fitter / mechanic at RAF Aberporth between 1939 and 1945, including some post in Belgium (Liege) and Germany (Wuppertal), that I am aware of.

I have obtained his military record but this does not tell me when or where he was stationed in Europe.

His record gives reference to 1609 TT / 1609 Flight, and 2007 Wg

I'm looking for advice on the best avenues to pursue in this regards

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Regards

Peter

The National Archives holds this war diary; -     

AIR 29/880/10 - 1609 Target Towing Flight, Aberporth; became 1609 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight, February 1943. Part of 70 Group (TT AAC UK). With appendices

1609 Target Towing Flight, Aberporth; became 1609 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight,... | The National Archives

That record only goes up to 1943 when 1609 disbanded, so won't cover the period of being in Europe after D-Day. However, it might be worth looking at War Diary - AIR 27/2056 - No 595 Squadron: Operations Record Book. 1943 Dec.-1949 Jan, as first page says the Squadron was formed at Aberporth when 1609 disbanded. It might give clues to units he may have later been a part of?-

Aber.thumb.jpg.f2a321ae700fca4f7d4ddcf172bf022c.jpg

Edited by ChrisR

I live very close to Aberporth & have always been interested in their ops. Plenty of detail re airfield history on Web - try Mike Ford's RAFAberporth web site for starters. As Chris says the NA is a good source, but little of their service operational records are digitised.  I've been piecing together info on activity/ incidents etc for some time, but for obvious reasons many locals who had Aberporth knowledge have gone now. John Armstrong was there from '46, & created the ATC unit on site, has just gone at 101.....The local press were banned from reporting much from there during WW2. I was at a local church open day last summer, & no-one present knew that a fatal accident occurred there in '43 when a landing Spit flew into the church - not even a memorial plaque.

Yes - unfortunately not many records are digitised. The series of files AIR 81 are still being sent from the MoD to The National Archives, they have only sent the early war years, but a couple of accidents relating Aberporth are already at the archives under this class-  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=air+81+aberporth Sometimes these AIR 81 files have witness statements by fitters/mechanics as Court of Inquiries wanted statements about the air worthiness of aircraft involved.

• Like 1

Worth reading "A Backroom Boy in WW2 - Aberporth Works Diary 1944-1945." Written as a journal by a senior Ph.d, of signifciant rank & authority within the organisation. Unusual pithy & cryptic style, but does give an interesting overview of working practices & politics at Aberporth, whilst developing RAF & missiles, & evaluating German hardware. Plenty on daily life in the area at the time, including snippets on Home Guard (inc exercises liasing with submarines off Poppit beach!).  Stories of how food rations were enhanced locally. Will give a flavour of life as enjoyed (?) by OP's grandfather, 'tho he may have escaped the office politics!.

Will be good to see more from NA. The RCAF Halifax prang listed is in minimal detail, which is sad. The aeroplane was on it's way home from bombing the St.Nazaire u-boats pens when it ran out of fuel, & attempted crash landing at Aberporth, which was then a short grass runway adequate for fighters & target tugs, but not ideal for heavies.

As the airfield is on the extreme west coast, quite a few of the later accidents were inbound transatlantic ferry flights  in
mechanical trouble, lost, or short of fuel.  In most cases, even if the aircraft survived the landing they could not manage a take-off, so were broken up for spares on site. May have been part of the functions of the ground staff/mechanics. BTW, these a/c were often not on RAF charge, so wd possibly not show in RAF ops records. USA prominent, but other air forces also involved.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I downloaded some of the base records for Aberporth but its mainly specific to that base and doesnt provide any information about postings to other places as far as I can read.

I attach a few photos of my Grandad and interestingly a photo in Liege in 1945 where he names a few of the other men on the reverse of the photo. My grandad is back right in the photo.

20190518_102007.jpg

20190518_102017.jpg

20190519_214543.jpg