Motorcycle registered in 1941

winchman

We have a Francis Barnett Plover registered in June 1941. The thing we wondered is would Joe Public be able to buy one then?

I would have assumed with rationing etc it would have been almost impossible?

Any thought as it would be great to find some historic info

There would be certain people who were entitled to essential transport I guess. Another thought, I think this Fanny B was a two-stroke and it may be that the government did not want these for military and government use. Just my thoughts. It may not have been made in 1941, of course. You may be able to see records of original registration and owner, if you identify which county or council are it was registered in. There are archives around with these details.

I wonder if it was pre-war or at least very early wartime production because there is no mention of bike production after the factory was destroyed. Also, I haven't found any information on what the parts where made for or if they had another factory making the Plover. 

"During the air raids over Coventry in 1940 the Frances Barnett Factory was completely destroyed. The company continued making parts during the war at an alternative location. It was not until 1945 that production resumed back at Lower Ford Street" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis-Barnett