New Find GMC

bobs1918

I  thought  i  was  finished   with  WW 1    vehicles.  I had finished  my   FWD, got  my    1918  Cadillac   up  and  running   , The  dodges   were   put  to  bed  for winter   but  then  I  got   a   message  about  a  1918  GMC   Chassis   not  far  from  home.   It  had  been  a  farm  truck   in  New   Hampshire and  then  later  used  to  power  a  saw   mill.  The   guy  that  now  owned  it  had  no  clue  where  to  begin   so  I   was  able  to  get  it  for  a  very  reasonable price.   

I   picked  it  up    and   will  soon  clear  a  spot  for  it  in  the  barn,  It  needs  a  radiator  , one  rear  wheel  will  need  rebuild   and   rims  and   new tires.   The  engine  is  not   stuck  and   the   gears   work. Frame  is  straight   with  only  one  area   weakened   by  rust.    Thin  metal  areas  need    some   sectional  replacement.  Fortunately   front  bumper  with   hooks  is  present  as  are  the    brackets  for  lights.

At  some  time  in  its  past   a  windscreen  was   added which   makes  it  possible  that   the chassis  once   sported a different  livery.

My  goal  is  to see  a  completed ambulance  in  2  years. It  is   very  probable  that  the  chassis   once   carried  a  Columbia  built  body   as  evidenced  by  the  absence  of  rear  fenders. OR  of  course  they  could  have  simply  been  removed .  Any  way   with  the   data plate  missing  I  will  proceed  with  the  Columbia  body  style.

I   am  adding  a  picture  of  an  original  GMC/Columbia   ambulance

IMG_9529 3.jpeg

269726508_4385549238238340_1626419301357358167_n.jpeg

GMC Rhinebeck.jpeg

Edited by bobs1918
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Great War truck said:

Cracking find Bob. What is the chassis number?

Still  looking  for  frame  number    I  will  get   some   motor  pictures  soon  There is a  serial  number  on  the    brass  plate  of  the  motor.

• 3 weeks later...