1957 Triumph TRW Colour

Dave53

I am in the process of recommissioning a 1957 ex-Canadian Army TRW that has been stood for a number of years and, having traced a previous owner in Canada, I have discovered it was repainted about 20 odd years ago.  The paintwork is now looking a bit tired and could do with freshening up.  I have been trying to find out what the original colour was that the TRWs were painted when they left the factory so that I can match it, but so far no one can give me a definative answer, not even the Triumph Owners Club who hold the factory records.  Does anyone here know what colour, with colour codes, these motorcycles were painted when they left the factory during the Cold War period please?

Dave 

Edited by Dave53

I remember the TRW still in British Army service in mid-70’s and as said, they were in gloss Deep Bronze Green and still with the gold lining on the tank, that added a bit of class to them!

Those ordered by the Canadian military may not have been in this colour, the best avenue to check is to join the Maple Leaf Up forum as there are owners of TRW’s in Canada on there as I recall.

11 hours ago, welbike said:

I think, of what I've seen, an NOS crated TRW for sale in the US about 15 years ago, the colour was the same as for the British Army TRW's, glossy Deep Bronze Green.

Hope that helps,

Lex

132B_4-1957-Triumph-TRW.jpg

Hi Lex

Thanks for that, I think I have looked at all the photos of TRWs that the Internet can find, the trouble with on-line pictures is that real colours can look very different depending on the computer monitor you have or if the original photos were taken inside, outside, in dark conditions, in bright sunlight or under artificial light.  I have also been told on various forums etc. that TRWs were finished in everything from Olive Drab to Nato Green and any number of other colours. The two photos attached are of my TRW and were taken on the same day, one inside my garage and one outside and the colours look very different.  The outside photo better reflects what the bike's colour actually looks like.

Anyway, the balance of probabilities does lead to the original colour being Deep Bronze Green and that's what I am going to go with.

Cheers, Dave

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

Edited by Dave53
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

I remember the TRW still in British Army service in mid-70’s and as said, they were in gloss Deep Bronze Green and still with the gold lining on the tank, that added a bit of class to them!

Those ordered by the Canadian military may not have been in this colour, the best avenue to check is to join the Maple Leaf Up forum as there are owners of TRW’s in Canada on there as I recall.

Hi Richard

Thanks for your post.  I am a member of the Maple Leaf Up Forum and have had many conversations on this subject.  See my reply to Lex above.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by Dave53