Triumph 3HW horn button

Chris P

May I pick your brains again, Ron and Lex? 

Lex, you may recall that I bought the last of your Lucas tail lamps and have made up one that is reasonable, thank you.  I know that the late war lights didn’t have the rubber sleeve on them but as, due to corrosion, it does not hold together as firmly as I would like, for security  I need to have a sleeve on it.  I’ve put a bit of rubber on it for now but I was wondering if either of you know where I might be able to get a repro or usable NOS rubber.

Thanks again

ChrisEC7E5417-D4DC-4360-BD5C-BE8340B4D607.thumb.jpeg.63792e3dd9d40912d5af8f6c85b29bf7.jpeg

I actually have 2, but one is modified, and painted black, rubber is rock hard, and breaking off, the other too, but has some cracks, it would be nice if someone would repro these! note the black one had L/WD MCT1 (Lucas, War Department, Motorcycle Tail, 1) stamped in the lense housing, the bracket on the early ones is not stamped.

Lex

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

Chris you could talk to Jeff Hunter (the rubber man)     jeffalanhunter@aol.com  mention my name if you want. He should be able to make them from a reasonable pattern. Bare in mind they would be made from modern materials (Not real rubber) and would not have much structural effect. Just water proof which is all they were designed for anyway. 

He's usually at Kempton Jumble in the first hall if you can make it next Sat.... 4th Dec.  Ron

Yes, that was my thought too, Jeff Hunter, but he doesn't want to make stuff that will not sell in large quantities, I tried before, with the rubber johnnies over the throttle bodies (out of the 200 or so we had made in the Czech republic, we are completely sold out, took over 10 years, but still). Am I right in thinking, the rubber is riveted and sandwiched between the metal parts??

Cheers,

Lex

2016-03-05 17.39.19.jpg

I emailed Jeff Hunter last weekend (mentioning your name Ron) and have not had a reply.  I guess he is not interested.  Tried speaking to a few companies from the internet and so far I haven’t found the right guys as they are talking about £2K to get it to the prototype stage!  So unless you have any other companies in mind I’ll give up on that idea.

I have been looking at the diy option and it looks pretty simple (I’m used to glass fibre mould making) and am happy to put a bit of time and money into this.  The thing is I’ll need an original to make the first mould, which I don’t have of course, so will need someone to lend one to me!  A bit of an ask I know but a broken one would do as long as it is all there.