British Buffalo Armament

Micetro

Hello Chaps and Chapesses,

I am writing on behalf of the Crowland Buffalo Restoration Team with some of the questions that are proving to be rather difficult to answer.

We are struggling to find any information on the Polsten 20mm Cannon Mounting.

Attached is a photo of a Buffalo that I have screen-grabbed from the Pathe 'Rhine Crossing' film and I have annotated it to identify parts that are visible in the other attachments.

It would seem that the mount that was used on the British Buffaloes is shown in the last attachment and would have originally been bolted to the swivelling mount that was found on the Crowland machine.

Can anybody shed any light on both the Polsten Frame, whether any still exist or if drawings might be available please?

Also if you know of any information on the Buffalo swivelling mount it would save a lot of head-scratching!

Thanks for looking

Tom

Buffalo Polsten Mount 2.jpg

_20210906_213344.JPG

Crowland Polsten mount 2.jpg

Crowland Polsten Mount.jpg

Polsten-Frame-Assy-w-Extension-Bar_Counterbalance-spings-Univ-Mt-Mk-I-1944-2.jpg

5 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

I recall the Tank Museum having a Buffalo? Maybe contact them?

Thank you Rootes75, yes the lads have been in contact with Bovington, sadly their representation of what the Polsten mount looks like isn't particularly accurate and they can't find anything in the archive to tell us what it should look like.

Regards Tom 

Upon flicking through a book on 79th Armoured Division it would seem that they either fabricated the mounts 'in-house' so to speak or farmed it out whilst keeping control of the process rather than letting it go further down the chain of command. Would anybody who has researched this division be able to offer any advice please?