Issue with Power and electronic Ignition

SirLanceUK

Hi all,

Does anyone know the part number and a supplier for an electronic Ignition for my Petrol Spartan.

History for those interested

I have been running round my Petrol Spartan in Alton (the Cold War Museum). It developed an issue were it was misfiring on tick over. I replaced the plugs and it sounded 100% better. Testing the removed plugs I found 2 were faulty, 1 completely dead the other worked after cleaning and re-gapping. While I was in there I took the air filter completely apart and to say it was fouled was an understatement. After cleaning and refilling with oil to the marks I put everything back together with the new plugs. Everything seemed ok on the few test runs I did.

After letting a couple of people drive it round the field they mentioned it seemed to lack power, so sitting when warm, ticking over and engine revs went up ok when driving it about the engine seemed to lack grunt. So the plugs were removed and all 6 were found to be "sooty" black (dry). I cleaned them up and refitted them after finding one with no gap at all and one plug only hand tight (shoot the person who changed them before, that will be me then). This as all sorted, cleaned and put back in. The carb was reset and screws adjusted and she was restarted. Idle was achieved and she seemed to be running sweetly once more, however when taken for a test drive while the power had "improved" I was told it was not were it should be.

My next port of call is the coil, distribution cap, points and leads, as well as testing the compression of each cylinder.

the electronic ignition was by Lumenition, but I dont think this is your problem. I sounds more like insufficient fuel supply at maximum demand. There are two filters in the fuel line, the gauze filter in the end of the clack clack pump, and the the fuel filter itself. The metal fuel tank is notorious for corroding from the inside out, and you may find rusty sludge in the filters. If so then your carb will require a meticulous clean and blow out with an airline. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, terryb said:

the electronic ignition was by Lumenition, but I dont think this is your problem. I sounds more like insufficient fuel supply at maximum demand. There are two filters in the fuel line, the gauze filter in the end of the clack clack pump, and the the fuel filter itself. The metal fuel tank is notorious for corroding from the inside out, and you may find rusty sludge in the filters. If so then your carb will require a meticulous clean and blow out with an airline. Good luck. 

Thanks you Terry, some one else made the same suggestion, but I had also read and heard that electronic is the way to to go and while things are apart I might as well think about swapping it out

Are you sure that it doesn't have electronic ignition? When originally built they used a slightly changed B60 distributor but this didn't work very well due to the reverse rotation and higher speed causing trouble with the points. In theory they were all modified with the Luminition electronic system that uses an LED and a photo cell to detect the movement of a disk with gaps in it that replaces the function of the points and cam. This system is very reliable but does need to be clean and the centrifugal advance and retard needs to work properly. It is also still possible to get coil problems and 60 year old HT leads are not always up to the task.

David

14 minutes ago, David Herbert said:

Are you sure that it doesn't have electronic ignition? When originally built they used a slightly changed B60 distributor but this didn't work very well due to the reverse rotation and higher speed causing trouble with the points. In theory they were all modified with the Luminition electronic system that uses an LED and a photo cell to detect the movement of a disk with gaps in it that replaces the function of the points and cam. This system is very reliable but does need to be clean and the centrifugal advance and retard needs to work properly. It is also still possible to get coil problems and 60 year old HT leads are not always up to the task.

David

Hi there, I haven't actually looked but I did speak to a mechanic who remembers it being points and he was going to swap it out before it was sold on. and i am trying to get ducks in a row as i hate starting then having to stop then starting again. So trying to get information so if it is i can order the parts rather than hunt around and order the parts.