Humber Utility BEF 1940

B series

This Humber is related to a Med Regt RA and the BEF France 1940.  I think the lorry in the background is a Crossley, maybe a recovery vehicle or maybe not. It has some poles or tubes mounted on some large brackets mounted across the radiator and other items lower down. But my question is why does it have a civilian registration number as it appears to have arm of service markings ? I assume the Humber registration was military and has been censored although I would have thought it would have has a service number on the bonnet. Maybe it was an impressed vehicle and the civilian numbers on the front plate have been removed. Looks like a cold and wet day.

image.png.348c5512e0b102bcaa9a2e0bb2f57ee3.png

Suppose you know Pre war military vehicles carried civilian registration plates, usually Middlesex registrations.

Discussed this  IWM pic on another forum a few years ago (WW2 Talk) and the Humber has an embarkation number of 0015 on the wing which reveals it is is from BEF Public Relations staff which is why we have such a nice photo I would guess 😃

''picture shows a badly damaged Humber Station Wagon with a Crossley IGL8 3 Ton 6X4 in background with AOS12 white bar over and 1st Corps spear indicating 5 Medium Regiment Royal Artillery. at first I thought it was captured but looking closely the motley crew are all Brits , perhaps the Humber was on the wrong side of the road.''

Craig

Edited by XS650