Italy campaign veteran's ring?

Airtrooper

I'm seeking help identifying the significance of the ring pictured below. It belonged to a now deceased family member who was a soldier in a Guards regiment and injured at Dunkirk. He was present in North Africa and then Italy, before or during which he was assigned as a driver to a senior officer, on account of his persistent injuries.

gNsZngy.jpg

We know he/they moved up through Italy as the campaign progressed, but didn't think he'd reached Naples (he rarely ever spoke of any of his wartime experiences). Upper right appears to be an outline of Mount Vesuvius erupting in 1944, which tallies with the '44 at upper left. The A5 appears to be the symbol of the US 5th Army:

220px-United_States_Army_North_CSIB.svg.

I'm guessing the Americans had these made locally (although the craftsmanship is poor, so perhaps they were hand-made in the field, using materials and tools to hand)? I'm also guessing some were given as gifts or exchanged with others (e.g. British soldiers)? Can anyone provide any more details please?

Many thanks indeed

Andy 

My father was in the 56th London Infantry Div. (The Black Cats). Many British soldiers were attached to the American 5th Army which proceeded up the west side of Italy starting at Salerno and then Anzio. He could easily have been attached as well, as I know Guards Divs. were attached.

John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MB1944 said:

My father was in the 56th London Infantry Div. (The Black Cats). Many British soldiers were attached to the American 5th Army which proceeded up the west side of Italy starting at Salerno and then Anzio. He could easily have been attached as well, as I know Guards Divs. were attached.

John

My maternal Grandfather was also in the 56th in Italy, he was with the London and Scottish.