Phillips military bicycle - thoughts on age?

T8Hants

Hi all,  what’s the collective thoughts on this Phillips military bicycle, it would appear to have a low serial number of 1181, but the alloy makers badges I thought were well into the late 40s early 50s.  It is shod with 26”x2” 1 1/3” tradesman’s tyres and is about a 25” frame.  The only other markings are either an O or a D stencil painted on the rear mud guard and a very poorly stamped ETC 5 on the handlebars.  I have had it so long, I can’t remember where it came from, but it is just possible it was from the Enfield factories, but I am not certain.

P1010653.JPG

P1010647.JPG

P1010658.JPG

P1010648.JPG

59 minutes ago, welbike said:

26" wheels, is always postwar, wartime only had 28" 

Hope this helps,

Lex

This is what I am begining to discover, although I am slightly confused by the four digit frame number.  I was under the impression by the post war period I should be looking at a 6 digit minimum with prefix letter.  Am i right in thinking this is a Mk VI model?

Hi  Your machine is to give its official designation is a Bicycle Trade Pattern  Heavy Duty.  From my archives it was introduced in 1952/53 and to date I have traced at least four contracts.   In regard to frame numbers I have three sequences which are for different contracts  listed  in my frame number register  -   3 or 4 digits and  and six digits with the letter N or NP.    A  MK V1 model does not exist however a number of collectors and dealers are continually advertising there machines as a MKV1.  The last mark of military bicycle was the Mark V & Mark V*.

If you require any more information please let me know.

Regards  Paul

20 minutes ago, MILCYCLIST 3826 said:

Hi  Your machine is to give its official designation is a Bicycle Trade Pattern  Heavy Duty.  From my archives it was introduced in 1952/53 and to date I have traced at least four contracts.   In regard to frame numbers I have three sequences which are for different contracts  listed  in my frame number register  -   3 or 4 digits and  and six digits with the letter N or NP.    A  MK V1 model does not exist however a number of collectors and dealers are continually advertising there machines as a MKV1.  The last mark of military bicycle was the Mark V & Mark V*.

Regards  Paul

Hi Paul, you can never have enough info, so if can pass anything elso on I would be interested, a PM would do fine or on here.  The late date would acount for the style of makers badge, and the paint under the botttom bracket where it has been preserved by oil and mud is deep bronze green, a colour usually thought of as post war.  I plan to restore it as the rust has bitten the paint too much for it to be a pleasant patina.  Nice to know the bike and I are the same age.  I think I got it from a green-sheet ad.

P1010660.JPG

On 10/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, MILCYCLIST 3826 said:

Regards  Paul

Paul, do you know anything about production figures, for the MK V and V* ?, and is there a way to figure put from the dramenumber, what make it is? I have a couple that I plan to restore.

Thanks for the explanation, and now I know what the T.P. on my parts list means!

Lex

001.jpg