Ray White

Hello everyone.  I am joining this forum because I would like to have a chat with anyone who owns or who has owned a Bedford RL.  I have seen these rugged vehicles in various guises so I thought perhaps there was an owners club but I can't seem to find one.  One thing that has puzzled me is that a few years ago they seemed plentiful - with many having very low mileage - but now they seem to have virtually disappeared.

I wonder where they have all gone?

Ray.

RLs gone abroad ? 

That reminds me of when I was a student (many years ago) and there were two hippy type guys who had two ex Army RLs.  One was fully equipped with masses of spare parts and plenty of extra fuel  while the other was kitted out as a mobile tent.  These two fellas were setting off for India where they hoped to find "spiritual fulfilment"!

I have no idea whether they ever made it or not.!! 🥴

(BTW...good to chat with you again Rootes75 !)

Edited by Ray White

1 hour ago, Ray White said:

RLs gone abroad ? 

That reminds me of when I was a student (many years ago) and there were two hippy type guys who had two ex Army RLs.  One was fully equipped with masses of spare parts and plenty of extra fuel  while the other was kitted out as a mobile tent.  These two fellas were setting off for India where they hoped to find "spiritual fulfilment"!

I have no idea whether they ever made it or not.!! 🥴

(BTW...good to chat with you again Rootes75 !)

Hi Ray, good you've made it on here. Its a nice group.

A lot of the RLs would have been support vehicles for the AFS Green Goddess pumps which had nominal mileage from undergoing routine inspection. They were stored in ideal conditions with the wheels removed, custom made wooden blocks to keep the weight off the springs and generator control boxes removed for safe keeping. I bought nine at auction in about 1990 for just under a grand each and most ended up abroad.

You could try the owners club RSOLES for more information.

Edited by radiomike7

Thanks for the reminder Mike.  I knew they had a funny name; I just couldn't; remember what it was.

RSOLES indeed!🤭

BTW there is someone on the TV (Quest Channel?) who is converting a fire appliance to use as a camper van.  I didn't know the Irish ones were yellow.  Counter intuitive somehow. 

Not sure how I feel about chopping up a Goddess but I don't suppose they are much good as a fire tender these days...?

8 hours ago, Ray White said:

Thanks for the reminder Mike.  I knew they had a funny name; I just couldn't; remember what it was.

RSOLES indeed!🤭

BTW there is someone on the TV (Quest Channel?) who is converting a fire appliance to use as a camper van.  I didn't know the Irish ones were yellow.  Counter intuitive somehow. 

Not sure how I feel about chopping up a Goddess but I don't suppose they are much good as a fire tender these days...?

I saw that and couldn't believe they gave £4.6k for that wreck. They were not built as fire tenders but high mobility high capacity pumps to transfer water long distances to burning cities by working in relays. They could pump 900gpm which is more than most modern fire appliances. 

There is a shoe shop in the King's Road with the same name, I used to drive past it most days:

rsoles-kingsrd-sw3-3623_1200.jpg

Talking of RLs what can you wind up their top speed to on the flat?

I remember two GS trucks seemingly overtaking us at great speed on the M1 in the 70s but we were in a LWB diesel Land Rover station wagon towing a 17 ft caravan !

What a disappointing tow vehicle this was to my father as the puny diesel could barely pull itself about.

Craig

40 minutes ago, Ray White said:

I have never even driven a RL lorry but I wouldn't want to push one.😆

It's quite an experience, first lesson is not to smash your elbow into the back of the cab when changing 1>2. On the motorway they cruise nicely at 50mph but don't open the engine cover as the sight of a cherry red exhaust manifold inches away from the carb is quite scary.

I think I would be concerned that spares might be a problem.  Can you still get the tyres?

What would be a fun thing to do would be to keep the tilt so it looked original but when rolled back revealed a camper/living van. It wouldn't have to be too posh.!

I just like the idea of a camper in disguise that has awesome off road capability.! 

Edited by Ray White

3 hours ago, Ray White said:

I think I would be concerned that spares might be a problem.  Can you still get the tyres?

What would be a fun thing to do would be to keep the tilt so it looked original but when rolled back revealed a camper/living van. It wouldn't have to be too posh.!

I just like the idea of a camper in disguise that has awesome off road capability.! 

You have to be careful with what you carry in the back of an RL, the chassis is designed to twist so that all the wheels stay on the ground when going cross country and anything large and rigid could have a hard time. The AFS RLs all had gaps between the floorboards to provide some flexibility.