Windscreen fabrication recommendation?

Meekumslr

Hi guys,

Im looking for a U.K. based windscreen fabricator, preferably In the South.

I need both driver and passenger frames, rubbers and laminated glass for the Austin and have one of the originals with shattered glass but have the hinges etc.

can anyone recommend a company?

many thanks, Neil.

Well, I’ve got a feeling that this will be just another thing that I will do myself due to either a lack of services or a second mortgage needed for the work.

Rootes75, I’ve removed the glass from the frame and see that the 4 channels on each screen are held together with four corner ‘L’ brackets with four screws in each.

I need the original pattern channel, inner rubber seal for the glass edge, outer weather seal (frame to body) and four new corner ‘L’ fixing brackets.

If I source them, I’ll stick it on as a restoration to advise how it went and learning points.

Ive removed the hinge screw bolts but the hinges have been brazed either side to the frame.

1F726C92-95BB-47D7-919F-7B5780EF8A6A.jpeg

Good afternoon chaps,

Does anyone recognise this windscreen channel profile from another vehicle other than Austin K5? Or a type of channel that may be available.

I-have done an internet search with nothing found as yet but someone may recognise it.

Neil.

E453E4A9-51B1-4FC0-8986-13B6DC0B0E09.jpeg

36A4A1BA-74FB-4879-BB8F-C077C02AEAED.jpeg

89ED16B3-DC9E-495C-96B7-04E0DE99C61D.jpeg

Ahh, thank you MatchFuzee, I most definitely will need that valuable source of rubber trims.

If I cant find the steel channel, I’ll look into fabricating it with the right gauge.

I know I can make an easier Aluminium frame but I want it as near to original as possible, plus the fact it really frustrates me until I can re-make it.

Hi

The window channel looks the same as that for a Bedford MW

The closest that you are likely to get is

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/709-brass-channel-bottom-channel

0709m__1E00001__.jpg.72ca842aae6c7e82ae919c3eac3f5cb9.jpg

which I know has been used on various MWs, it may need a bit of machining to get a perfect match, they also do some other useful window frame sections

Cheers

Richard

Many thanks guys.

I will have a look at these profiles and see what the best option is.

I had to drill the corner screws out so have holes in the damaged frame I had so it may be worth making two new ones so they match exactly.

your help is much appreciated.

The screen on our Commer is different in that it has an undercut on the front face in which the rubber surround sits, its also shaped rounded with no straight sections.

51233405666_6e2e8b152f.jpg

I also have an issue with the two securing screws each side, seen at the top of the picture. The screen surround is in two halves and I need to get these undone to replace the cracked screen glass and make the repair on the lower section. The screws will simply not budge.

I had absolutely no chance with the securing screws and had to drill them out.

Due to the weather that the screen takes, I think those screws are designed for assembly only, not removing. 
Once I drilled the heads off, I sprayed WD40 in the holes and slid the four frame sides out, giving me the profile end shape.

Im going to the Heritage Transport Show in Kent on Sunday to see if I can chat to some automotive suppliers.

I think you need an ‘end on’ profile to go with first and consider drilling the screws out. Like me, you’re going to need to use a new inner fixing bar and re-tap thread holes in for new screw bolts.

None of this is simple but screens are always the wettest, rustiest areas and I’ve never embraced them… until now.