86” army Land Rover lhd with milage speedo??

monty2

Is it a  NEMAG  speedo head  ?    I don't know about S1 86" time line but some military S2A contracts had them & Km or Miles Hr. would hardly matter.   I don't think the Bowden drive heads were dual.  A case of KISS for squaddies - probably they just marked the glass with a red line  ?

British Military Land Rovers [Taylor & Fletcher] says the first LHD military land rovers known to have been built as such were produced under 1955 contracts, probably a hardtop for a military attache, and a soft top effectively as a prototype for future orders for BAOR.

Looking at the photo, I would have expected the speedo to be on the driver's side, so could this be a conversion from RHD?

8 hours ago, Noel7 said:

British Military Land Rovers [Taylor & Fletcher] says the first LHD military land rovers known to have been built as such were produced under 1955 contracts, probably a hardtop for a military attache, and a soft top effectively as a prototype for future orders for BAOR.

Looking at the photo, I would have expected the speedo to be on the driver's side, so could this be a conversion from RHD?

AFAIK  even in 1956 , the speedo was in same hole for RHD & LHD.

If the nomenclature plate is missing  & Contract No.  :  unknown ,  then it is possible given the actual chassis No.  to zero in to the Contract No. (this tells how exactly the Rover was built up from parts (numbers).   You need to place the Chassis No. into the  Chassis No.  "Range".

You can see where a Hi/Lo plate is missing from the bulkhead - in addition this plate would have been marked with the all important chassis No.

18 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

We also had LHD Landies that were used in the U.K. (continental returns?) although I don’t remember ever taking them off base.

I have Lightweights  40KC74  and  40KC88   ,  still left-hookers , both supplied  1985 to Ord. Depot Antwerp , both returned to UK  1994 to  PWO  (Prince of Wales Own)  at  York  - where they drove around until MVSL for disposal Dec.  1997    One has a double window hood ( both sides ) & one a window hood with  'glazing' only at  UK offside.  

I also have LWT   92KA58   (originally LHD)   although KA  (first year of Tri-Service)  was only RAF - sent to  RAF  Laarbruch , back to RAF Marham Supply Sqn.   1991  , disposed at  ADT  (BCA auctions ,  IIRC British Car Auctions @ Manchester).  This originally had a double side glazed hood .

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 10:15 PM, monty2 said:

Can someone tell me for which continent this lr was made.

Milage Speedo in lhd army land rover

5DFED758-E636-4DC4-8E18-70E6E798EC18.jpeg

I went to see her she has chassis number 17360381x x is unclear. But original. 86” 1956 lhd export model. Engine is 173607242 beginning is matching last bit is not can that be correct 

Edited by monty2