4 hours ago, MrEd said:

Yeah a hand drawn picture with coordinates printed on it still isn’t evidence of anything tbh. 

I suppose I better contact the US archives and inform them that the Luftwaffe aerial pics they have they should skip....

23 hours ago, andy brown said:

I suppose I better contact the US archives and inform them that the Luftwaffe aerial pics they have they should skip....

I didn’t say the aerial photos.

I only referred to the hand drawn illustrations. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, andy brown said:

I really don't want to argue with anyone , but should point out that if you go back to the first thread on chobham on the 24 / 9/ 21 you will see the full front cover of a booklet I published dated in the corner seven years ago which included my pretty pictures one of which depicts the tanks on tank hill ,seven years later  you take me to task on evidence ,and in the same breath admit to the world that you knew of the tanks (  seeing them from staple hill ) to say nothing of the Luftwaffe pics showing the whereabouts of the concrete foundations of the pods ,yes my pretty pictures may not have captured your imagination that said you appear to be digging a hole for your self .I will certainly stand aside should a more exacting suggestion be put forward on anything regarding the common that I may have promoted .

I think you will find Andy, its the Conspiracy Theory tone and the "feeding bread crumbs" manor of the posts that cause the problem. there are some serious military historians and serious collectors on this site that dedicate their lives and incomes to the cause. playing the whole "victim" of a conspiracy line just winds people up. facts with back up count. and in one of your posts you got it about the tanks being there. that would have happened earlier probably without the game playing.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Ashcollection said:

I think you will find Andy, its the Conspiracy Theory tone and the "feeding bread crumbs" manor of the posts that cause the problem. there are some serious military historians and serious collectors on this site that dedicate their lives and incomes to the cause. playing the whole "victim" of a conspiracy line just winds people up. facts with back up count. and in one of your posts you got it about the tanks being there. that would have happened earlier probably without the game playing.

Ok drip feeding , that maybe how you see it from the outside but it rather depends on one's circumstances ,I do not have a computer nor do I have broad band ,I use a bog standard phone ,that has its limitations ,because when you find yourself over eighty after half an hour your looking at three screens .

As for conspiracy well your the one that keeps throughing  this up ,and as I'm not finished yet let's see if there is a punch line .before you jump to conclusions .

Waterbeach recieved the same treatment and yes if I were a professional archivist i would no doubt tread the line that you expect to be fitting for the forum ,but I'm not ,

As for the common it's been bulldozed flat ,replanted ,re invented , and manicured into a presentable package suitable for the twenty first century ,I've known it for 65years  and seen it slowly disappear and wrongly it would seem try to highlight a few days in the countries history that some would have me forget...... conspiracy .....V.....money......

On 10/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, andy brown said:

I really don't want to argue with anyone , but should point out that if you go back to the first thread on chobham on the 24 / 9/ 21 you will see the full front cover of a booklet I published dated in the corner seven years ago which included my pretty pictures one of which depicts the tanks on tank hill ,seven years later  you take me to task on evidence ,and in the same breath admit to the world that you knew of the tanks (  seeing them from staple hill ) to say nothing of the Luftwaffe pics showing the whereabouts of the concrete foundations of the pods ,yes my pretty pictures may not have captured your imagination that said you appear to be digging a hole for your self .I will certainly stand aside should a more exacting suggestion be put forward on anything regarding the common that I may have promoted .

you are quoting yourself (which also seems to be a reccuring thing which makes your posts quite hard to follow) so its hard to know who you are aiming that comment at.

BUT, i didn't say anything about remembering the tanks, that was another member of the forum posting in this thread (terryB)

I personally think the common was used for all sorts of military uses, lots of areas were in WW2 and immediately after, and with it so near to the longcross test grounds etc it would seem utterly logical that it was used continuously for many years. 
I dont buy into the conspiracy theory though that its being deliberately covered up, its just been forgotten.

Stoke park in guildford was a large defended area, tank ditches, spigot mortars, dragons teeth, flame fougasse the lot - 90% of it is gone as time has moved on.

The massive air raid shelter under the car park up the road in guildford is kept firmly locked by the council, and visitors arent allowed - not a conspiracy, its in dangerous and unstable condition.

the sports centre at guildford college was the sub regional HQ in the cold war and no trace exists apart from a basement with very thick walls, its just been forgotten about and time has moved on.

Same with the cold war fall out shelter under the council offices in woking.

same with 'montys hideout' under reigate hill.

I jsut dont buy into the deliberate government conspiracy, sorry.

• Like 2

I am inclined to agree with you , conspiracy seemed to have got attached way back in early waterbeach but then thats what it was ,certain parties conspired to hide for whatever reason 326 tanks , an issue that many found hard to swallow ,so from then on the rule of the day was Conspiracy .......but I wouldn't loose sleep over it due to the fact that like waterbeach the story isn't over yet....

As for Stoke park well there wasn't much that that people didn't know about the place after ww2 ,unlike chobham common where they are still in denial that the army was out there ( they being the local authorities )

Doubt very much if the children of Stoke park get much opportunity to play with Asbestos ,or paddle in oil filled ditches ,but they haven't got an International Nature reserve .

IMG_20211013_172859954.jpg

IMG_20211013_172626617.jpg

IMG_20211013_173058816.jpg

Although it was not my intention to feature the previous pics of asbestos and oil , as it did not I thought fit in the general scheme of things ,only included as a response to the previous post, but having done so should it be met with disbelief that the pics are of chobham common I thought it best to identify the whereabouts of both ,the asbestos is part of the material from the installation near to the Windsor road and several hundred yards south of the Victoria memorial ,most of the material appears to have been bulldozed north down a bank into a hollow adjacent to the Windsor road car park ,the oil covers a area South west of ship hill or north of the Victoria memorial  ,here I had found foundations of buildings in what I took to be a compound as there are the remains of the pre war pebble dash lampposts along with a great deal of buried pipework some of which traces back to the Windsor road ,at a guess some sort of pumping station ..

IMG_20211011_152126615.thumb.jpg.6ed9ad40bffea6626a54f26a8f83899e.jpgThese pictures of what appears to be some sort of aggregate I recovered from the common around 2012, around the time of finding the landmine strikers ,for some ten years prior to this I would walk the dog out on the common a couple of times a week in the area close to the tank factory ( Burma road) as our workshop was down the road in lyne the dog a cross staff Pitbull was our security guard being close by to a number of traveller sites we suffered a number of costly nocturnal visits ,the dog whilst considered a member of the family was the right tool for the job hence the common which kept him out of contact with people and inquisitive dogs as his version of playfulness was likely to get me in trouble.At that time to me the common was just where I took the dog not paying that much attention to the place ,but with regular visits just as with anywhere things become familiar ,and one thing that had done so we're the strange "what looked like strange upturned dinner plates " roughly five or six foot across quite a number lay hidden in the brush but on one stretch of path one would walk across three that lay in line , they had an almost marble appearance and when damp had no coefficient of friction  if stepped on ,

2012 now out there doing a bit of metal detecting couple of months passed before I realised the dinner plates were missing not that it stood as important at the time ,probably a year later I was detecting in the corner next to the railway line under some pine trees and would brush away the needles with my foot when I uncovered a piece of dinner plate ie as the pics....,next time I visited the heath  manager I asked him about the missing dinner plates ,answer ..probably crushed by the tractor at some time,...well didn't swallow that as I had not seen any evidence of the remains, did though mention that I had found some large pieces over by the railway , week later back in same area it looked like the whole  place had seen a buck rake recently,not a slither of  what I had seen couple weeks before was left .

What was so important about the dinner plates ? Just to see the reaction I mentioned to one of the ground staff I met out on the common had they seen any of the material I described and showed them the lump I had from the fir trees ,four days later got call from persons unknown would I mind returning the stone , why? We might need it for display purposes !!!! Said you already have three ton of it ..line goes dead....

IMG_20211011_152119371.thumb.jpg.ad899d92e43a26e072ffca6bd6886f9a.jpg