Historic find.

andy brown

Historic find.

About thirty odd years ago I purchased and sold on a small Hunslet narrow gauge shunting engine from a yard north of Basingstoke at a guess I would say it was earl sixties and I was told it came from the munitions tunnels on Salzburg plain this fitted with the fact that the scrap man / owner did a lot of work for the mod  born out by the assortment of army related items plotted up in the yard the engine had variable gauge a small cab and was fitted with what at the time was a Perkins 4108 engine could have been a 499  .a chubby little machine , along with this came a number of trucks with wooden drop sides  they would have been about twelve foot long by four foot wide ,the timber appeared to have never been out in the weather looking in very good condition ..This was one of those times where one felt they shouldn't be scrapped so I rang round a number of the  narrow gauge railway clubs ,most of whom  expected me to donate the items ,eventually I sold the the engine and two trucks to the Leighton buzzard  railway society if they are still going they may still have them .

On a later visit to the yard I was shown into a barn where stood a immaculate for want of a better description locomotive in Goodwood green livery with gold lining it stood  on a section of line which gave it a larger than life appearance ,as I recall it had a gardener engine ,the cab was only inches higher than the  bonnet with quarter curved windows tucked between the curved roof and side of cab ,again I was told this came from the same place and on offer at ,£1000 .having seen that the narrow gauge society's were all but destitute i didnt takes up the offer ,heard later that it had bought buy a chap that had track round his estate so at least it dodged being scrapped .also found a Vickers bulldozer in the brambles ...all gone now.....

Just now, andy brown said:

Historic find.

About thirty odd years ago I purchased and sold on a small Hunslet narrow gauge shunting engine from a yard north of Basingstoke at a guess I would say it was earl sixties and I was told it came from the munitions tunnels on Salzburg plain this fitted with the fact that the scrap man / owner did a lot of work for the mod  born out by the assortment of army related items plotted up in the yard the engine had variable gauge a small cab and was fitted with what at the time was a Perkins 4108 engine could have been a 499  .a chubby little machine , along with this came a number of trucks with wooden drop sides  they would have been about twelve foot long by four foot wide ,the timber appeared to have never been out in the weather looking in very good condition ..This was one of those times where one felt they shouldn't be scrapped so I rang round a number of the  narrow gauge railway clubs ,most of whom  expected me to donate the items ,eventually I sold the the engine and two trucks to the Leighton buzzard  railway society if they are still going they may still have them .

On a later visit to the yard I was shown into a barn where stood a immaculate for want of a better description locomotive in Goodwood green livery with gold lining it stood  on a section of line which gave it a larger than life appearance ,as I recall it had a gardener engine ,the cab was only inches higher than the  bonnet with quarter curved windows tucked between the curved roof and side of cab ,again I was told this came from the same place and on offer at ,£1000 .having seen that the narrow gauge society's were all but destitute i didnt takes up the offer ,heard later that it had bought buy a chap that had track round his estate so at least it dodged being scrapped .also found a Vickers bulldozer in the brambles ...all gone now.....

Not Salzburg  Salisbury .........

4 hours ago, andy brown said:

On a later visit to the yard I was shown into a barn where stood a immaculate for want of a better description locomotive in Goodwood green livery with gold lining it stood  on a section of line which gave it a larger than life appearance ,as I recall it had a gardener engine

Like this?

gardener.jpg