Type of rivet for stove

Surveyor

Just added another stove and decided to strip it down and get it sand blasted, I am going to remove the instruction labels which appear to be a cold rivet.

Can some one advise if this assumption is correct and if so any source I think they are about 2 maybe 3 mm diameter.

If not may use a pot rivet instead.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20210829_154003.jpg

IMG_20210829_154150.jpg

Push rivets, they normally have a sort of dull self-tapping thread.

There is a procedure to get these out, use a BLUNT chisel and tap the head sideways firmly, they will normally displace far enough for you to pull them out.  Of course you have to do it carefully to avoid damage to the plate underneath.

• Like 1

Gordon

Many thanks, was thinking of the usual a drill but will try your suggestion when I can find a blunt chisel, have a fabricators not far from work they may have one.

Will do some research on push rivit's, every day a school day and I do like this form of learning

Sharp tap sideways will do it.  Doesn't have to be a chisel, any solid metal that will transfer the tap without shearing the head off, just go carefully.

These sort of rivets are normally used to attach plates to castings, liken engine block.

Thanks, I have plenty of screwdrivers that might work and as always will go carefully.

Thinking out loud as I do, Think will try and knock the back where no plate.

Will then know size of rivet needed and after treatment how to secure them

Edited by Surveyor

12 hours ago, ruxy said:

Push rivet  ?    Spline drive rivet  ?     Hardly - that seems thin sheet metal.  What can be seen of the head on other side ?   Probably just dome/button-head small soft iron rivets.

Heading out to shed today will get  picture of the rear

12 minutes ago, Gordon_M said:

That's just a blind rivet that has been peened over I think.  Should tap out with a fine on the back

Thanks, just going to head out and get them off, then to sand blaster

Edited by Surveyor
Spellin

23 minutes ago, MatchFuzee said:

Plenty of copper rivets on ebay, even some imperial sizes. 

Thanks, will have a look, the manufacturers label is covered in paint so not sure which size metric or imperial i need yet.

The point you have made does bring another question to light at what point would the sizes be changed to metric?

30 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

The point you have made does bring another question to light at what point would the sizes be changed to metric?

Sorry, no idea. 

The rivets maybe too distorted to measure but the size of the hole maybe measurable, and give you the size of the rivet. 

This site should help:-

https://www.cnclathing.com/guide/rivet-hole-size-chart-how-to-determine-the-rivet-size-cnclathing

16 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

Sorry, no idea. 

The rivets maybe too distorted to measure but the size of the hole maybe measurable, and give you the size of the rivet. 

Sorry it was a throw away type of question, yes the holes are measurable will do my usually trick of getting drill bits to see, provisionally I think about 2.5mm to 3mm.

The guide is a great help as well

Thanks

Richard

• 3 weeks later...