Series 3 repair

Paul Drake

There is a User Manual  (I have the March 1980 Edition  for 3/4 ton ,  Army Code No. 22230 / Land Rover Part No. 608179),  I suppose there was a MOD  Repair Operation Manual or at least covered the FFR aspects of servicing beyond the User Manual - but I have never seen one , I have always just used the civvy Repair & Operation manuals & worked out the electricals myself.  During the 1970's at subsequent new Edn. a few items were moved into the User Manual from the Repair Op. manual.

There was no single volume "Repair Manual" as such, various aspects were covered in a series of incoherent EMERs covering data summary, technical description, field & unit repairs, installation instructions, modification instructions, general instruction, inspection standards.

These were in the sequence EMER WHEELED VEHICLES Q 020 - Q 029 this covered all Series of Rover & sometimes included reprints of Land Rover's publications. Many EMERs were joint 1/2 Ton & 3/4 Ton publications, EMERs specific to 3/4 Ton were suffixed /14

Topics such as starter motors, ignition & charging were covered in a range of sections in EMER POWER.

User Handbook & Servicing Schedules were covered in Army Coded publications.

A large number of EMERs were republished in the AESP octad 2320-D-100 that were for all variants of 1/2 Ton & 3/4 Ton.

User Handbook was now called Operating Information 2320-D-100-201

Servicing Schedule was now called Maintenance Schedule 2320-D-100-601

Rovers were the only equipment that benefited from an EMER to AESP reprint.

Due to the lack of coherence Land Rover publications were often used for the non-specific to military tasks. I have a Series III Parts Catalogue converted to Army use being over stamped Army Code No.22705, the illustrations are much clearer than the military publication but of course only give the Rover part number, so the military publication would need to be consulted to extract the NSN.