Army Major convicted of stealing tanks!.

PanzerJohn

I heard about this man's 'Activities', over 20 years ago. It was rumoured at the time, how He was acquiring vehicles. But was deemed roumer's at the time.....

Knowing that he has been involved with 'Museum's' & Private Collections here in the UK. After this news, I would imagine thier are one of two Bum Holes Twitching now!....... 😵

The Household cavalry will be most embarrassed, & Indeed livid. After hearing about his Conviction. They are very strong on the Officer & gentleman reputation they have.

Yes, he must have had connections I feel. to have got off So LIGHTLY!....

• Like 1

The offences happened 11 years ago so the vehicles are long gone but those who know the hobby can guess some of the dealers who probably brought vehicles off if him but they will no doubt claim they thought it was all legit.

He should have gone to prision and lost his army pension but no doubt it was seen as a white collar offence and was probably well connected.  Others in the chain of command could also had problems if he went to jail.

Edited by REME 245

As has been said this has been known about  for over twenty years and as l said before has cost the tax payer a large amount to get to this point. There have been other case's like this and the results have been the same let off to lightly. It's time that the people who investigate  this type of crime for that is what it is got their act together

Edited by wally dugan
miss spelling

The Square Dealers, as seen on Coronation Street.

The route to happiness

1) So, set up a 'museum'

2) Write to other museums and foreign powers asking to either borrow, loan or donate vehicles.

3) Sell off the donations or go one step further and sell the loaned vehicles as well.

4) Invest money in income reversible trouser bonds.

To late its already been done! a number of times!

2 hours ago, Old Grumpy said:

He's just a con-merchant who has pulled a few strokes, he's not a mass-murderer. He's got a brass neck for sure but nobody got hurt. As the old saying goes, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Good luck to him.     Pete.

As Wally says, this has cost the taxpayer thousands - and that includes you!  I think most of us on this site are reasonably free to cast stones, given that I doubt many of us have taken advantage of our positions in such a way to the detriment of the country, the tax payer, his regiment, other collectors, those who bought his stolen goods, those who have lost their confidence and faith in buying from others.  There's no such thing as a victimless crime.  Not impressed with your moral compass!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 10FM68 said:

As Wally says, this has cost the taxpayer thousands - and that includes you!  I think most of us on this site are reasonably free to cast stones, given that I doubt many of us have taken advantage of our positions in such a way to the detriment of the country, the tax payer, his regiment, other collectors, those who bought his stolen goods, those who have lost their confidence and faith in buying from others.  There's no such thing as a victimless crime.  Not impressed with your moral compass!

I'm not trying to defend this rogue in any way but you are back to accusing him of stealing although that is what it might appear. For instance if I gave my car keys to a friend who then refused to return the car it is a civil matter and the police would take no interest.

The theft act of 1968 has a couple of paragraphs which describe his actions:

A person who by any deception dishonestly obtains property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, shall on conviction on indictment be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

Where an offence committed by a body corporate under section 15, 16 or 17 of this Act is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of any director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate, or any person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he as well as the body corporate shall be guilty of that offence, and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.

A corporate body would normally be a company, organisation or group of people, possibly the army are exempt.  Either way it seems strange that a custodial sentence was not applied.

1 hour ago, 10FM68 said:

Yes I'm a taxpayer and I'm well aware of the fact that his actions come at a loss to us but his case is just a spit in the ocean. Look at the millions of pounds wasted on the dinghy mob swarming across the English Channel to be housed in luxury or that bunch of pointless old farts in the House of Lords that milk the taxpayers daily. Matey is small fry as far as I am concerned. By the way, your opinion of my moral compass means absolutely nothing to me.   Pete.