Band of Brothers tour 2007

Joris

Yesterday was probably the last Band of Brothers tour ever and they came to "the Island" (area between Rhine (Arnhem) and Waal (Nijmegen) river) too. The Screaming Ducks & Friends were there to welcome them and drive them around in our WWII vehicles.

There were 5 vets on the tour: George Koskimaki (Signals company, 506 PIR), Earl McClung (E co 506 PIR) , John Primerani (Rgt HQ 501 PIR), Herbert J. Suerth (E co 506 PIR), Paul Rogers (E co 506 PIR). They all signed my helmet, very cool!

We drove them around to 3 locations and then they went back to the hotel.

1. the vets and the reenactors

2. The vets: Primerani, Rogers , McClung, Koskimaki , Suerth

3. Earl McClung signing one of our helmets

4. Koskimaki signing a ton of books

5. Primerani telling us about the 501st reg on the Island HQ "De Elshof"

6. A bucket of ammo found while rebuilding the "De Elshof"

7. Koskimaki at the former brickworks which was an OP during the fighting

8. My signed helmet

Great pictures Joris - special time? It is amazing how much pull celebrity vets have, the Americans are good at it - our country could learn a lot from them, it is a shame our culture is so different :(

I am sure these guys will be back as they say that every year...all veterans are amazing people, from an amazing time. It is strange to think that some people wouldn't even blink if they saw these guys working down the street :(

DO NOT WEAR THAT HELMENT JORIS!

I am hoping to be on a tour for 10 days with some 101st vets in Normandy, in March :-D

:-) Cheers for these pic's, Joris

As Jack so rightly says, tis a shame we cannot see the same type of get-together with english veterans.

Oi!

Next week we'll meet British veterans from the Welsh division!

I've got some great friends among them!!

They are also HEROES in my eyes!!!!!!

Here in the Netherlands all allied WW2 veterans are wellcomed!

Oi!

Next week we'll meet British veterans from the Welsh division!

I've got some great friends among them!!

They are also HEROES in my eyes!!!!!!

Here in the Netherlands all allied WW2 veterans are wellcomed!

Nice to hear it,.................dunno if anyones seen a paper, today,

seems that a battle of Britain veteran was THROWN off a bus, (actually picked up from his seat and phsicaly removed) ending up face down in the street, by a 21 year old THUG who called himself a bus driver.

Reason,......his bus pass was invalid as he was 20mins early using it.

Bus drivers actions were caught on cctv, and he has been sacked...........I HOPE HE's JAILED. >:(

In september the Arnhem veterans come over and are treated in the same way. But the british way of doing things rather differ from the american way.

The BOB tour is a remembrance tour, try and compare it to a British remembrance tour.

AS MOST OF YOU PROBABLY KNOW MOST OF OUR FORCES UNITS HAVE OLD COMRADE ASSOCIATIONS OF WHICH I'M A MEMBER OF 2. WE HAVE REGULAR GET TOGETHERS AT LOCAL AND NATIONAL VENUES. THEY ARE ATTENDED BY A DIMINISHING NUMBER OF WW2/KOREA VETERANS BUT FOR THE WANT OF A BETTER WORD ARE BEING REPLACED WITH A GROWING NUMBER OF "VETERANS" FROM NORTHERN IRELAND, BOTH IRAQ AND AFGANISTAN AS WELL AS FORMER YUGOSLAVIA AND EVERY OTHER CAMPAIGN IN BETWEEN. THE LIGHT DRAGOONS/QOY ASSOCIATIONS OF WHICH I AM A PART OF SUPPORT THESE "VETERANS" WELL. WHAT MY POINT IS THE AVERAGE JOE SOAP THINKS YOU HAVE TO BE A DOTHERY OLD F**T TO BE A VETERAN AND DON'T APPRECIATE WHAT OUR CURRENT FORCES ARE GOING THROUGH.

BARRY, (NOT AN OLD F**T) BUT A VETERAN.

AS MOST OF YOU PROBABLY KNOW MOST OF OUR FORCES UNITS HAVE OLD COMRADE ASSOCIATIONS OF WHICH I'M A MEMBER OF 2. WE HAVE REGULAR GET TOGETHERS AT LOCAL AND NATIONAL VENUES. THEY ARE ATTENDED BY A DIMINISHING NUMBER OF WW2/KOREA VETERANS BUT FOR THE WANT OF A BETTER WORD ARE BEING REPLACED WITH A GROWING NUMBER OF "VETERANS" FROM NORTHERN IRELAND, BOTH IRAQ AND AFGANISTAN AS WELL AS FORMER YUGOSLAVIA AND EVERY OTHER CAMPAIGN IN BETWEEN. THE LIGHT DRAGOONS/QOY ASSOCIATIONS OF WHICH I AM A PART OF SUPPORT THESE "VETERANS" WELL. WHAT MY POINT IS THE AVERAGE JOE SOAP THINKS YOU HAVE TO BE A DOTHERY OLD F**T TO BE A VETERAN AND DON'T APPRECIATE WHAT OUR CURRENT FORCES ARE GOING THROUGH.

BARRY, (NOT AN OLD F**T) BUT A VETERAN.

Good point,................something I know some legion branches are finding,..the 'newer veterans', (for want of a better description) are not interested in supporting said branches; Maybe's its the legion that needs to look at itself and 'modernise', (NOT DECRYING the VERY VALUABLE work carried out by them)