Clansman with CB radio

TooTallMike

Does anyone have any experience with using CB radio and Clansman together? I'd like to be able to wire a CB into my intercom so I can hear it through the headsets. I'm not bothered that I'll have to use the handheld mic as normal, I'd just like to be able to hear it via my comms.

I think I just need to connect the CB output to the 'External' input of an 'Amplifier AF Loudspeaker' unit. However, initial tests suggest this doesn't work :-(

Any ideas welcome.

Hi, the mic connector of most cb's have a link which enables the receive audio. So unless that is in place you will not get anything from the radio.

Clansman harness employs "impedance keying", so if you put something the wrong impepance across an input, you may more it's operation into a fault condition.

If you really want to do this pm me, and I will see what I can do remotly.

Andy

For info, the plug/socket on your CB is wired as;

Pin 1 Com or chassis.

Pin 2 Audio from receive, this must be connected to pin 1 to get any audio.

Pin 3 Transmit audio and PTT (press to send switch), this is connected to Pin 1 when in transmit.

Pin 4 Receive, and is the other part of the PTT switch and is connected to pin 1 in receive mode.

If you CB has more than 4 pins on the mic tell me and i will pull out the info on it.

I have successfully run a CB through the IB3 for years now.

I connected the audio (speaker) output from the CB to a spare 7 pin clansman plug and simply connect this plug to one of the radio set input plugs on bottom of the IB3. You will receive through your headset as though it were either the A or B radio set depending on which monitor station setting you have your CB2 on.

Can't remember off hand which pin I connected to in the plug

If this is wrong someone please correct me nicely (no snide remarks about superior knowledge!)

- the centre pin is neutral??????

- I think (I think) pin e takes the "live" feed from the CB audio output?????

As said you cannot connect the CB mike to a Clansman harness circuit because of the impedance issues

Cheers guys,

Andrew, thanks for the info, I should have been more precise but I was looking at using the 3.5mm jack output on the rear of the CB (or indeed a feed straight from the speaker) into the Clansman harness rather than modifying the CB mic plug/socket.

00EC25, thanks for the info. Any chance you could check that pin-out for me when convenient :-)? If I plug the CB into 'A set' on the IB3, will I get it through both ears or just one, and will it come through all headsets on the system? (Not very familiar with how all this works beyond very basic use as an intercom.)

If I plug the CB into 'A set' on the IB3, will I get it through both ears or just one, and will it come through all headsets on the system? (Not very familiar with how all this works beyond very basic use as an intercom.)

It's been a long time, but I would have thought that with the CB plugged into the A set, you will get whatever function you ask for from the harness.

ISTR options included Work A / Monitor B, Work B / Monitor A, Work one set or the other or I/C only. With two sets selected, working set in the left ear, monitored set in the right. With I/C selected (was it a separate switch?) it came up in the right ear.

When I transferred out I soon had a hearing test. I was told I was 85% deaf in my right ear. Best part of three years later they came round and ran the tests again just before my next posting and told me my right ear was now fine.

I came to the conclusion that seven years of live I/C in my right ear as we cabbied across the countryside, wind whistling through the live boom mike had done for the ear. Three years of not having it whistle and everything was fine.

Still makes a good excuse for not hearing her indoors though.

If I plug the CB into 'A set' on the IB3, will I get it through both ears or just one, and will it come through all headsets on the system? (Not very familiar with how all this works beyond very basic use as an intercom.)

As Alien says working through the harness you will only ever get audio in one ear at a time eitehr left ot right depending on which set you have your CB2 switched to monitor.

On long jounreys this can be exhausting - for example I have the CB as my "A" set and a normal car radio as my "B" set. The intercom continues to work over the top before anyone asks. At the end of the journey I am desperate for a change of ear on the car radio since 2 hours blasting into one ear only when we are used to stero these days does get annoying - the only solution I know is to switch the plug positions on the IB3 and reverse the A and B radios between the CB and car radio

...The intercom continues to work over the top before anyone asks.

Exactly what I was going to ask :-)

Thanks for all the answers guys. I was also considering having a car radio input for longer journeys so it answers that question too.

Now, can my brain cope with 3 audio inputs as well as having a fourth ear monitoring the truck for odd noises...

Now, can my brain cope with 3 audio inputs as well as having a fourth ear monitoring the truck for odd noises...

Yes. I did it for seven years. A set in the left ear, B set and I/C in the right. Listen to the engine revs AND detect a Scimitar changing from high to low ratio a mile away.

Our FIVE main weapons are ... I'll come in again.

DON'T FORGET CODING/DECODING BATCO, PUTTING THE BV ON, MAKING A BREW, TELLING YOUR CMDR HE IS LOST AGAIN AND GETTING PELTED BY ALLSORTS OF KIT LIKE LUMICOLORS, BINO'S AND ANY THING ELSE HE DROPS ON YOUR HEAD.

BARRY.

DON'T FORGET CODING/DECODING BATCO, PUTTING THE BV ON, MAKING A BREW, TELLING YOUR CMDR HE IS LOST AGAIN AND GETTING PELTED BY ALLSORTS OF KIT LIKE LUMICOLORS, BINO'S AND ANY THING ELSE HE DROPS ON YOUR HEAD.

BARRY.

Do you remember Titch? Driver in IIRC 1st Troop? Cabbying down the road in his enigmatic style when his commander (Paul M) gave him some verbal. Titch's hand comes out of the driver's hatch ... waving a pair of sticks.

Cue commander throwing a fit and ordering him to stop. Then Tich reminded him he had a customised pair of orange 432 sticks fitted to the Scorpion: he only carried the originals so that he could replace them in a hurry should anybody want to examine the vehicle.

Paul M was supposed to have a good eye for launching a Larkspur mike over the top of the mantlet and smacking the driver on the head, then winding it back in without ever touching the vehicle. Until one day he threw it a bit hard and the driver had one of them new-fangled bonedomes on and the mike was scattered over Salisbury Plain.

Come to think of it, were they in 3rd with you?