WW2 British Tank Crew Ranks?

pickles4uk

Question

1 answer to this question

On 6/25/2021 at 6:50 PM, pickles4uk said:

Hi,

I'm working on a story about a British tank crew during the second world war and I was wondering if someone could tell me the most common ranks of each member, ie gunner, loader, driver and commander.

Commanders: Troop leader, Lieutenant or Second Lieutenant. Early war, the cavalry (not sure about RTR) had WO3 (Troop Sergeant Major). This was dropped early in the war. In the absence of a troop officer, a SSGT might be a troop leader, or the troop sergeant takes on troop leader, and senior corporal plays troop sergeant. Junior troop vehicles would be commanded by Corporals and Lance Corporals. Exceptionally due to shortages, a trooper could command.

The rest of the crew would be junior ranks (Tpr - Cpl), but the commander would outrank them.

There's also the question of FHQ (Fighting Headquarters), where the OC Major would command one command tank, and the 2ic (Captain) another. Iirc (I wasn't there, man) OC's operator was Squadron Signals Sergeant; 2ic's, Troop Corporal. Remaining crew members would most likely be LCpl - Cpl. But again, if manpower were short...

• Like 2