AEC Matador buying guide

67burwood

Morning everyone 

I am going to view a 1939/40 AEC Matador troop carrier tomorrow morning, I am after a few tips on what to look out for and in particular how to date it, does anyone have a chassis number list or is there big differences between early and late models? It’s a restoration project but I believe it’s all complete.

thank you in advance for any information received.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 67burwood said:

Morning everyone 

I am going to view a 1939/40 AEC Matador troop carrier tomorrow morning, I am after a few tips on what to look out for and in particular how to date it, does anyone have a chassis number list or is there big differences between early and late models? It’s a restoration project but I believe it’s all complete.

thank you in advance for any information received.  

best thing to do is join the aec matador facebook page lots of good information and records of matadors 

• Like 2

Chassis number should be stamped into the chassis just behind the front spring hanger on the passenger side.  There may also be an overhaul plate with the number on above it.  There are differences between the early and late ones, including air assisted hydraulic brakes on early ones (most have been converted to full air), and full air on later ones.  Early ones have one or two small air tanks, and later ones have longer tanks.  Really early ones have the Weymann style cab with a different roof shape, etc, etc - there made over 10000 of them over quite a period, so there were a lot of small changes over the time.  Take a lot of pictures so you can compare them to others later on, and it helps when asking questions!  As said in a previous post, join the Facebook AEC Matador group - it has some posts that detail lots of preserved ones, along with chassis numbers and year of manufacture.

My Matador was in theory made in 1939, but there are parts on it that have markings indicating 1940, so it's quite hard to be specific over when they were made, and a lot have been rebuilt multiple times over the years!

Nick

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies, I thought I replied this morning but it hasn’t worked from my phone. 

11 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

Lining up the next project already? You're going to need a big shed at this rate! 

It does sound interesting, what sort of condition is it in?

more storage definitely required!! Always liked the look of Matadors so I thought… why not

10 hours ago, Listerj123 said:

best thing to do is join the aec matador facebook page lots of good information and records of matadors 

Joined the FB group today but not received anymore information than provided by you chaps so far 🤞

9 hours ago, NickAbbott said:

Chassis number should be stamped into the chassis just behind the front spring hanger on the passenger side.  There may also be an overhaul plate with the number on above it.  There are differences between the early and late ones, including air assisted hydraulic brakes on early ones (most have been converted to full air), and full air on later ones.  Early ones have one or two small air tanks, and later ones have longer tanks.  Really early ones have the Weymann style cab with a different roof shape, etc, etc - there made over 10000 of them over quite a period, so there were a lot of small changes over the time.  Take a lot of pictures so you can compare them to others later on, and it helps when asking questions!  As said in a previous post, join the Facebook AEC Matador group - it has some posts that detail lots of preserved ones, along with chassis numbers and year of manufacture.

My Matador was in theory made in 1939, but there are parts on it that have markings indicating 1940, so it's quite hard to be specific over when they were made, and a lot have been rebuilt multiple times over the years!

Nick

Thanks for the info Nick, I am viewing the truck tomorrow, it’s priced at 8k but I am not sure if it’s a good price for a resto project 

• Like 1