What is an anti flash radiator protector for?

Meekumslr

This may sound like a silly question but what did anti flash protectors protect the radiator against on certain vehicles?

If I’ve got the piece of equipment wrong, then I’m sorry but got it from t’interweb.

Its the shield under the windscreen I’m curious about.

Thanks guys and sorry if it’s schoolboy stuff.

Neil.

62E95069-F0E9-40D5-B415-E0AC76F4EB23.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rootes75 said:

Likewise, I hadnt heard of its use before. Its interesting but I havent seen many vehicles fitted with them, would another are be painted if it didnt have the shield?

I don’t feel so silly asking now.

I would have thought that this would not be a good place to put it due to reduced visibility, ie loading on LSTs etc.

Surely, it would be better to be folding (drop down) than fixed as Itonly would have been needed in combat areas?

All vehicles were applied even motorcycles with the patch on the headlamp. The reason for the 'shelf' on forward control vehicles was that the driver could see the patch and if it changed colour. Shelf mostly seen on Bedford QL, WOT 6 and 8, Austin K5, vehicles with bonnets had it painted on them.

Gas detection brassard also worn. Chemically impregnated light brown paper (resembling waxed paper) designed to be worn on the shoulder. After sliding the armband up the sleeve, a small loop was threaded through the epaulette on the wearer's jacket to secure it in place. These brassards would turn red from a chemical reaction if they were exposed to mustard gas.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-paratrooper-gas-detection-brassard-marked-dated-march-1944-by-jl-s

chrome_screenshot_1624357351606.thumb.png.be2ecf157fc79fc941a77c1f0e01f741.png

• Like 1