WD 2 gallon PETROL can (1953)

ruxy

-  Dated  1953  ,  embossed  WD  &  broadarrow.    Brass cap is marked   AAO  &  Co. Ltd.     It seems  AAO  was  Anglo-American Oil Co.   a subsidiary of Standard Oil Co.  Predecessors of  ESSO,  apparently the company name was changed  1951 to ESSO Petrol Co. Ltd.   So - seems like they were lazy in change of cap casting.

Has had a smear on a base soldered seam (probably Devcon)  , container is all solder seam construction -  flimsy ?  

If you are interested - I am open to offers - collection mid-Weirddale ,  or you pay  £  for shipping.

It probably would solder repair to contain petrol , but offered on basis of  Vehicle enhancement or  1:1 diorama.

Both sides not shown in photographs but very sound.  Would soon clean up for a coat of OD  or primer + OD.

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

IMG_7311.JPG

IMG_7312.JPG

2 hours ago, David Herbert said:

All these cans have interchangeable caps. This one simply has the wrong cap on it !

David

Possibly , but probability has a % against  - so I don't think so , if you google on a can this date (1953)  one is to be seen with same embossed top and the cap is identical  - then this one has been listed for sale (where I established the origins of a AAO cap. The hard evidence again matches the top to the can with this cap, many cans embossed front/rear but not the top - in this case the top is a link to correct cap. The probability not so great as to be wrong..  Could have been jumbled but then I can't say I have noticed  Pratts, Esso, Shell being sold with wrong caps - if they do get mixed it seems to get resolved.

I bought a brand new red one, unmarked except for "Petroleum Spirit Highly Inflammable" in 1970 from Halfords. I have no idea what was stamped into the bottom if anything. They were still in common use then as plastic ones had only just started to be available.

David

It is listed in VAOS Section LV6-MTI Vol. 1 Miscellaneous Stores 1952 & again in 1960

The cap if lost could be replaced by demanding LV6/MTI/37557

Incidentally the 1960 edition also lists LV6/MTI/32002 Jerrican 4 1/2 gallons

Scan0013.jpg

Scan0012.jpg

During WW2 the brass caps the WD used were completely plain and unmarked from what I've seen, and I suspect this practice continued post war.   

I've never understood why a broad arrow wasn't cast into them.

8 hours ago, G506 said:

During WW2 the brass caps the WD used were completely plain and unmarked from what I've seen, and I suspect this practice continued post war.   

I've never understood why a broad arrow wasn't cast into them.

Yes  ,  I too would have expected a broad arrow or letters  WD on the cap.

Most cans where the company name is embossed on the side such as Pratts, BP, Shell, Esso   etc.  - you can easy match with a brass cap.   However I have never seen a can embossed with  Anglo American Oil to which the AAO Co. Ltd.  caps can be married with.  

I have a book  "Pioneers of Petrol"  about Carless Capel & Leonard , good early history about import of oil ,  early history of  Launch Spirit, Motor Spirit , Aviation Spirit and how the word Petrol came about.

As a kid I can remember taking such cans to the local ironmonger to get filled with paraffin  for  Aladdin  &  Tilley lamps + brooder heaters.  I can't remember the names on the cans or caps - ISTR the cans were heavier steel construction , don't recall this lighter soldered construction , but that was abt. 60 years ago.

I still use a Redline 2-gall can dated early 1930's for the mower petrol, that has the wrong cap, no big deal, the caps get lost, nicked or swapped around. I have used it for more than 40 years.

As for making them still for the army in 1950's, it should be remembered there were still vehicles in service that were equipped with stowage for POW cans and not jerricans.

• 5 months later...

Hi

Just some questions on POW /water cans,

I came across a report that camel cans were preffered water can in the M.E.

But I have not seen any pictures of these.(in WW 2)

I have pic's of POW cans Jerry cans

Restored POW cans as originally painted,

Petrol dated DD 1942, otheres just DD no date.

IMG_3410.thumb.jpg.332ac909362ef7e7a455660325c75297.jpg

and a steel type Water can,

brit_w_can_d.thumb.jpg.51e02467a9b139219d6031eb8e3c48cd.jpg

IMG_8889.thumb.jpg.fda05decfd58a217c0131cf41460e222.jpg23185805-2.thumb.jpg.28e00a92ccea91564fe35681c93b44a8.jpg

ME and New Zealand Austin K2Y in Italy moved up from ME.

and in the Museum a Camel Canteen

T1982_36.jpg.dd084a09aed929e74641f89da69eff50.jpg

regs

Rupert