WW2 British Vehicle Marking Stencils

Rootes75

I would second that recommendation. I have used Tony's services at Axholme on countless occasions. The Stencils are excellent and very easy to use. They will also create bespoke items including those based on images provided. The service is excellent. Best out there in my view

• Like 2

I notice they do Bridge plates too.

I was reading the WW2 vehicle markings on Wikipedia and under bridge plates it says the '30cwt GS has a plate of 5' but then under 6 it says 'most 30cwt's'.

I wonder why it would be a 5 or 6?

It would depend on the unladen weight of the vehicle, for instance most 30cwt trucks would be 4x2, but there were CMP 30cwt trucks that were 4x4, so the added weight of a front driven axle, transfer box and heavier wheels and tyres would probably tip them over to the next overall weight group.

The War Office pamphlet on Bridge Classification, lists each individual make and model of vehicle so it was not a generalisation.

• Like 1

I wonder where the 5 and 6 came from on Wikepedia, although my experience of it there are many anomolies.

I do have a few photos of wartime Commer 30cwts but they just have the yellow plate without a number on it.

21 minutes ago, Rootes75 said:

I do have a few photos of wartime Commer 30cwts but they just have the yellow plate without a number on it.

These are probably post-war photographs. After WW2 vehicles based overseas continued to carry numbers on their bridge plates but UK based vehicles carried yellow bridge plates without numbers, as their weights didn't matter in the UK. I don't know the date the instruction was issued; out of curiosity, can anyone tell me, please?

The question of bridge carrying weights was first raised in 1887  after ww1 with the increased use of  automobiles  improvements were called for on bridge classification  in 1928 . These were further improved in 1938 with what was used in ww2 and postwar all of this was started by the BOARD OF ENGINEERS

Edited by wally dugan
missing date