Best driveway for an FV432?

Deathwing

Sorry for the "noob" questions as a new FV432 owner! I anticipated it would not be great on the paving stones and indeed it is gradually turning my driveway to the left. Short of moving my house to the left side of the driveway I am considering what to install once the current driveway has given up the ghost.

My neighbour suggested concrete on the grounds that gravel isn't great for tracks, resin gets chewed up, paving stones break and tarmac might be too soft in summer heat. Would concrete be the best surface to drive over without causing it much in the way of damage? There's a slight turn on the driveway to traverse, if that makes any difference to the answer.

Thanks!

There now exist driveways made of recycled rubber.  It would be gentle on the track pads but I've no idea how it would take the weight.  Might be worth contacting a contractor who does that sort of work and see if they can speak to that.

I have asked the concrete driveway people to come down and quote. I also asked them about a concrete barrier to go in front of the tank stopping place, in case of engine runaway. Would something like this work or would a runaway tank just climb it? 

https://safefence.co.uk/concrete-jersey-barrier.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkZiFBhD9ARIsAGxFX8By3KCyYMxb4jjXoLHmKhHqHcflQbu8_P67KIwuUdEa9ZN1q4aJVpEaAthBEALw_wcB

Or am I worrying too much about engine runaway? 

I have not heard of many runaways. If its going to happen, probably not in your driveway. The K rail would not work for tracked. They are usually around 6K pounds for a 20 foot stick. You could pour a 4 to 6 foot wide wedge that would fit between tracks and lift hull and tracks off ground. Still have to shut down engine. The ramp would have to be long and high enough to lift majority of track to keep it from moving forward. I would not worry as long as you keep good service. 

4 hours ago, Terra1936 said:

There now exist driveways made of recycled rubber.  It would be gentle on the track pads but I've no idea how it would take the weight.  Might be worth contacting a contractor who does that sort of work and see if they can speak to that.

I called up a rubber driveway company just out of curiosity but they said the surfaces won't take tracked vehicles, especially not 15 tonnes. If only I could put the FV432 on a diet...

Thanks for the reassurance re runaway. I will keep it well serviced! 

Edited by Deathwing
I quoted wrong post in reply
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Deathwing said:

I called up a rubber driveway company just out of curiosity but they said the surfaces won't take tracked vehicles, especially not 15 tonnes. If only I could put the FV432 on a diet...

Just for interest, the ground pressure of a FV432 is 11 pounds per square inch, the ground pressure of an average adult is 16 pounds per square inch. However, I can see a problem with a rubber surface and rubber padded tracks in that they would create a lot of resistance and probably tear the surface up if you had to slew the vehicle, even slightly. Concrete is the only solution.