CVR(T) Spartan(D) Steering Calipers

Hi Guys,

Long story short one of my steering tillers starting pulsating slightly so i checked my steering brake pads and low and behold i am dearly in need of some new ones. I have the new pads and started replacing them, the one side went easy as pie and the piston slid right back into the caliper *almost* easy enough to do with your finger. Then the fun started with the other side. Despite all my might i cannot get the piston to press back into the caliper so i decided to take the caliper out so i can get at it better but alas i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the darn thing out. From my limited understanding there is two larger bolts that hold the mount for the caliper onto the gearbox and i can find the one but i literally cannot break the bolt free. Ive tried liquid wrench, PB Blaster, Cheater bars, Half inch impact and lastly just my Raw Might but nothing will get it to come lose. so obviously i should just jump to the other bolt but i cant find it? im not sure if you guys know any tips or tricks but im in desperate need of help here. 

P.S. If you guys know of where i can get a Fan Belt or a part number for a replacement that would be much appreciated it. Thanks in advance!

19 minutes ago, Terra1936 said:

Did you try a hammer impact?

Ive tried my 1/2" impact and it didnt budge, i know there are better impacts out there, i'll have to get my hands on one. The big problem i have is that the line for the brake fluid goes directly over that bolt so i cannot get directly on it with a socket and i also cant take the line off till i get some space by taking the bolts out ironically, i gotta use a crows foot and ontop of that, the radiator is above it aswell so i gotta use a swivel adapter to get on it good so even further lost torque. I could use a torque multiplier but crows foot wrenches cant take near as much as sockets can, they flex real bad and pop off the bolt. I definitely wanna stay away from torches, maybe it just needs a longer bath in some liquid wrench. I'll hit again this weekend and see if i cant coerce it to break free

3 minutes ago, TheAmericanPatriot said:

Ive tried my 1/2" impact and it didnt budge, i know there are better impacts out there, i'll have to get my hands on one. The big problem i have is that the line for the brake fluid goes directly over that bolt so i cannot get directly on it with a socket and i also cant take the line off till i get some space by taking the bolts out ironically, i gotta use a crows foot and ontop of that, the radiator is above it aswell so i gotta use a swivel adapter to get on it good so even further lost torque. I could use a torque multiplier but crows foot wrenches cant take near as much as sockets can, they flex real bad and pop off the bolt. I definitely wanna stay away from torches, maybe it just needs a longer bath in some liquid wrench. I'll hit again this weekend and see if i cant coerce it to break free

pb blaster 

If you remove the hydraulic  line (disconnect it at the master cylinder) underneath the floor plate on the cylinder you may be able to push the pistons back, or more easily slack off the bleed screw  on the caliper after placing a bleed tube over the bleed screw (so the fluid doesnt go all over the place) then push back the pistons.

Remember the right cylinder controls the left caliper and visa versa

It;s fairly obvious when the pads are worn, unlike sticking your head under a car and trying to judge.

Getting the caliper off the gearbox with the box in situ is umm- difficult!

With the fluid out of the calipers(s) you should have plenty of fun getting the air out when you  go to bleed them 🙂

BTW when you pushed back the other caliper pistons you didn't by any chance fill up the fluid reservoir? as that's where the fluid will flow back to.
If it's full that may be one reason why you can't get the other caliper pistons back......

Edited by Diana and Jackie
Amended

9 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

If you remove the hydraulic  line (disconnect it at the master cylinder) underneath the floor plate on the cylinder you may be able to push the pistons back, or more easily slack off the bleed screw  on the caliper after placing a bleed tube over the bleed screw (so the fluid doesnt go all over the place) then push back the pistons.

It;s fairly obvious when the pads are worn, unlike sticking your head under a car and trying to judge.

With the fluid out of the calipers(s) you should have plenty of fun getting the air out when you  go to bleed them 🙂

BTW when you pushed back the other caliper pistons you didn't by any chance fill up the fluid reservoir? as that's where the fluid will flow back to.
If it's full that may be one reason why you can't get the other caliper pistons back......

I appreciate the reply and you have given me alot of useful advice. That is a very good point about the fluid rushing back into the reservoir and that might be stopping me from pushing it back! The caliper didnt feel springy at all as if it were being stopped by fluid but there might not be any spring with the fluid after all. I make sure i keep the reservoirs full so that is a definite possibility! Im excited to see if thats the case when i get to working on it this weekend. I'll let you guys know if i figure anything out. 

Till then, much obliged!

On 5/10/2021 at 1:36 PM, Diana and Jackie said:

Well i re-investigated the caliper this weekend and sure enough you were dead on the money, the hydraulic oil resevoir was chock full of fluid and it was the exact reason that i could not push the piston back into the caliper. How simple! What would i do without you smart fellas around to guide simpletons like me! 

Anyways thanks for the advice i am ever grateful. 

Wyatt

On 5/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, Diana and Jackie said:

I am not a FELLA and I don't drink alcohol..........................

I'm sad to say that we in the USA are slow to understand that there are other pronouns than he/his.  Thanks for all your knowledge and support.

• Like 1