Alvis Saracen FV603 MK1

Terra1936

Question

2 answers to this question

Good day Terra, perhaps Terry is your name?

The Saracen is a vehicle which some like or hate.

Supportable yes, parts, some and mostly consumables are available.

Is it already in the US of A or is it coming from another country?

IS this your first MV? Do you have dry good storage for it?

Are you planning on long trips or local outings?

Did you have a maintenance budget in mind?

Do you own a reasonable array of basic tools and kit ie jack stands socket sets floor jack?

The worst thing for any of these vehicles is lack of use.

Personally speaking the MV fuel tanks are way too big and that combined with lack of use and poor quality low end fuel give grief. Small discreete fuel tanks with good fuel pays dividends big style.

Whar other vehicles have or do you own?

Touch base my Skip over at REME Depot in Texas as a resource and others in the US who support Brit vehicles.

Manuals are around and Vintage Vehicle Manuals has likely most of what you need.

There is an active FB group as well if you are that type.

Shows s what you bought when you get it. SOme great folks on here with loads of advice.

Buying manuals as a first start is always a good practice and others will commend you as many of your answers lie inside.

1 hour ago, robin craig said:

Good day Terra, perhaps Terry is your name?

The Saracen is a vehicle which some like or hate. Just like American Gama Goat.

Supportable yes, parts, some and mostly consumables are available.Where? Brakes for sure.

Is it already in the US of A or is it coming from another country? Yes in USA

IS this your first MV? Do you have dry good storage for it? 

Are you planning on long trips or local outings? Local 50 to 100 miles per year, Mostly Display with runs around neighborhood. 

Did you have a maintenance budget in mind? Not really. 

Do you own a reasonable array of basic tools and kit ie jack stands socket sets floor jack? Yes on tools

The worst thing for any of these vehicles is lack of use. Any vehicle! With today's bad fuel it amplifies the problem!

Personally speaking the MV fuel tanks are way too big and that combined with lack of use and poor quality low end fuel give grief. Small discreete fuel tanks with good fuel pays dividends big style. Great idea!

Whar other vehicles have or do you own? Fox, Sultan, Universal carrier, M668 and others. 

Touch base my Skip over at REME Depot in Texas as a resource and others in the US who support Brit vehicles.

Manuals are around and Vintage Vehicle Manuals has likely most of what you need. 

There is an active FB group as well if you are that type. Looked last night after posting. 

Shows s what you bought when you get it. SOme great folks on here with loads of advice. I am researching to see if I want to tackle!

Buying manuals as a first start is always a good practice and others will commend you as many of your answers lie inside. I will look at Green Machines and Marcus Glen. 

Robin, you have a great list above and looks like you have lots of experience! Thank you for the talking points. Fantastic! 

I have read horror stories on the steering in the FV603? Never seen a manual. I believe the brakes are bad on this unit. I know the difference between mineral oil and dot 5 for brakes!