Land Rover ambulance Series 2a/3 Bumperettes

DINGODOUG

Hi, I am after a set of bumperettes for the front bumper of a late series Marshalls ambulance. These were to protect the 5 inch diameter Notek blue spot spotlights and consist of 2 angle pieces on either side, which bolt to the front of the bumper, and which are held together by a strip of metal across the top. These seem to be difficult to source so I would consider making them if I had a set of drawings.. I would be grateful for any help with either drawings or a set of the real thing. cheers Doug.

I am quite certain  577368 must be the correct raised type with space for Notek lamps.   The  GLR348 (Unipart's No.)  type was first introduced on LATE  Rover 10 & 11 , then was used on S3 and Defender.

The  AIR-LIFT type used on S2A military Mark up to EARLY  Rover 10 & 11 were handed  RH = 535101  and  LH  = 535102

The Marshalls Ambulance Body ISPL AC No.22108 is disappointing as it is solely concerned with fittings & ventilation. Besides the twin fog lamps were not fitted in production. to Rover 9 & 11.

Twin fog lights & special bumperettes were retro fitted to Rover 11 & presumably standard on S3 ambulances.

The details are in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES Q 027/2 Mod Instr No, 3

The original bumperettes 552074 were to be removed & replaced with LV7/RU 2540-99-810-7759 this seems to correspond with 345188.

The definitive answer should be in the S3 Ambulance ISPL AC No.22715. Unfortunately I can only find the supplement of amendments.

The circuit diagram appears in the UHBs. The UHBs are a bit of a swizzle as although fat books, they are the standard 3/4 Ton UHB with a small supplement for the ambulance. So several bits of the main UHB don't apply or are incorrect for the ambulance.

I have UHBs for Rover 9 & 11 Ambulances they both have a circuit diagram. So the Rover 11 is likely to be close to S3. Can scan it if you want.

• Like 1

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a3149/93535

Forget the  VRM  plate because that is a  LATE  Rover 11.

Note the LWT  shackle points.

It will be that style of  'bumperette' you are after  ?

I doubt if there is a Rover Part No.  ?

ISTR  some went as a  chassis/cab (well not even that)  from  Solihull direct to Marshall of Cambridge.   Others I think were supplied from Army stock to Marshall but could have ended up a slightly more specific ambi. to RAF Spec.   

It would probably be Marshall who manufactured the bumperettes to their drawing and allocated a Part No. of their own.  It would also have a NSN.

• Like 1

btw      GLR348/552074   bumperette  was s/s to  RTC4769   ,    so if you discount the handed  S2A AIRLIFT type and the specific Lightweight type - there is no other , so by a process of elimination - I would say the one described as Ambi. with a number must be the Marshall  designed for Notek..

11 hours ago, ruxy said:

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a3149/93535

Forget the  VRM  plate because that is a  LATE  Rover 11.

Note the LWT  shackle points.

It will be that style of  'bumperette' you are after  ?

I doubt if there is a Rover Part No.  ?

ISTR  some went as a  chassis/cab (well not even that)  from  Solihull direct to Marshall of Cambridge.   Others I think were supplied from Army stock to Marshall but could have ended up a slightly more specific ambi. to RAF Spec.   

It would probably be Marshall who manufactured the bumperettes to their drawing and allocated a Part No. of their own.  It would also have a NSN.

Hi and thanks for your help. The bumperettes shown on the milweb link are the ones I am after and I have asked Blanchards if they have any. The ambulances seem to be a nightmare to get definitive answers about as they all seem to be different in some way. So far I haven't seen any 2 which are identical. The good news is that I managed to get an original Notek light which I was freeing off in the vice when it slipped out and smashed on the floor. Ho hum.

11 hours ago, fv1609 said:

The circuit diagram appears in the UHBs. The UHBs are a bit of a swizzle as although fat books, they are the standard 3/4 Ton UHB with a small supplement for the ambulance. So several bits of the main UHB don't apply or are incorrect for the ambulance.

I have UHBs for Rover 9 & 11 Ambulances they both have a circuit diagram. So the Rover 11 is likely to be close to S3. Can scan it if you want.

11 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Thanks again Clive. I would be very grateful if you could scan the wiring diagram. My ambulance is late series2A having been made in Dec1972 and eventually completed by Marshalls early 1973. However it seems to embody some Series3 features so I am very confused. A wiring diagram would be a great help. Doug.

3 hours ago, DINGODOUG said:

Hi and thanks for your help. The bumperettes shown on the milweb link are the ones I am after and I have asked Blanchards if they have any. The ambulances seem to be a nightmare to get definitive answers about as they all seem to be different in some way. So far I haven't seen any 2 which are identical. The good news is that I managed to get an original Notek light which I was freeing off in the vice when it slipped out and smashed on the floor. Ho hum.

The    RAF  gate  'crash-bar'  ,  you will see photographs of them mounted on all three designs of bumperette , the top height possibly / was intended to allow this.  However many of these are 'show' vehicles and many enhanced.  You would have to do a good search for "in-service Ambi"  photographs for mounting on all  3 qty. type of  bumperettes  for a definative.    I surmise these  'crash-bar'  were also made by Marshal with only (nil Rover No.) their Part No.  +  NSN    ?     These  'crash-bar' have always been a desired item  ,  and  £  accordingly   top  $