RAF Armoured Car in Aden 1936

LarryH57

A friend's late father in law (ex-RAF) left a pile of photos in a suit case and these were found during the clear out, when his wife died, years after him

I think it is a Crossley IGA3, though this is the only photo I could find of one!

It served in Aden, pre-war

Crossly IGA3 (3).jpg

Edited by LarryH57
  • Like 2

Does Mike say what colour the pre-war 'khaki'  was ?  Pre-war India Office Nortons were listed as 'khaki' when the War Office machines were 'Green' but then in 1939 when Khaki Green No.3 was introduced, they were suddenly described as 'Brown'....I suspect more of a 'Dried Mud' Khaki.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent this photo to the Tank Museum Curator, David Willey as I know they maintain an archive of all Armour Vehicles, even RAF ones, and in turn he sent it to David Fletcher for comment as follows;

Thanks also for the Crossley photo which I have saved. It was one of two with domed turrets, the third being on an even bigger Crossley chassis with a conventional turret. All three served with the Royal Air Force but they seem to have developed faults in the driven bogie. Most unusual for Crossley who invariably turned out a good product, I suspect they weren’t so good in sand. Anyway they were done away with after a while.

If you find any others – always happy to take a peek.

David