First Build in 52 yrs. Mk ll Universal Carrier

1:35 Scale Tamiya Universal carrier Mk ll, first attempt at using photo etch ( eduard upgrade), as well as figures and simple diorama. 

Painted and finished with all Vallejo products . Completely Hand Painted.

My uncle crewed one in Italy and  NW Europe during WW2.

All comments welcome as help improve my next build an Archer SPG.IMG_6443.thumb.JPG.e48ea2f02e97e31cb9d0edd71038f8e7.JPGIMG_6442.thumb.JPG.99e9d2d05c10566ea085fece0a48e1be.JPGIMG_6436.thumb.JPG.9a77730db8429c100c0cdee8b284c513.JPGIMG_6437.thumb.JPG.c2b88b2c1e30f88224a655228a6505a2.JPGIMG_6429.thumb.JPG.73b7387fc948f55b99d1274c4badc5c7.JPGe, to help me improve for my next build an Archer SPG.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

Hi Cannuck,

Really nice work.

That is great work with the old Tamiya Universal Carrier. Have you tried any of the RIICH Models Carriers in the same 1/35th scale? They do a MK I, II and Airborne Mk III as well as a Vickers Machine Gun Carrier, a 3" Mortar Carrier and Mk I and IIC WASP's. They also do a set of tracks with running gear, drive sprockets that update the old Tamiya tracks and wheels.

You have now inspired me to do the Mk I that I have had in the stash for a while.

Cheers

Kevin

Good day Kevin, thank you for your comments. Yes I have seen the RIICH carriers at the hobby store when I decided to start into this hobby. They were a bit pricey compared to the Tamiya carrier for a first build, not knowing how it would turn out and if I would continue to take this up as a true hobby. So starting from scratch, I went and purchased a few books, paints /weathering products, brushes, Eduard Photo Etch, and a whole lot of tools. Then an inexpensive kit, with ties to my Uncles involvement during WW2 ( 10 -11 months later a product). Now that I have spent way more on supplies then the kit  and the first product turned out reasonably well ( not yet at the standards of  things posted on modeling sites), I feel I will continue. My plan is to start by building kits the have a ties to my families involvement in WW2. This will test my ability to build planes , a ship and varies land vehicles .  My next build will be a SPG Archer 1:35 scale from Tamiya.

Note this is the first time ever using photo etch, figures and hand painting everything.

Boy the real world of proper modeling is quite a shock, considering my last build as a 13 yr. old, which was more of a right of passage for teens at that time. A quick slap together, some basic paint and done.

Thanks again Dennis

Hi Dennis,

The Tamiya Archer is a nice kit and goes together well with no real issues. Good choice. Not sure if there is any photo etch for the Archer or not.

Like you I too hand paint all of my models, all British / Commonwealth WW II and all in 1/35th scale.

Keep modelling now you have started back up again.

Cheers

Kevin