Thanks for letting me join the group

Robert Mcaleese

Has anyone analysed the sequence of inspection stamps on Coventry Triumph engines ? The numbers were unique to an individual inspector and it may be possible to get an idea from when these 5S engines were inspected, based on the same stamp on WD serial-stamped 3SW engines such as this one.

Triumph 3SW C63511.jpg

I have done a lot of comparative work on the Stamping of triumph engines and frames . Initially it was to understand my own bike . But as I have viewed other bikes in particular triumphs it's allowed me to gain a real understanding of the stamps and tell tales on a bike .

Post war Triumph had a manufacturing success and new Triumphs were in high demand this meant dealers purchased old army triumphs and gave them a new paint job and new lease of life.. Bikes particularly the 3s were often 're engined with 500cc 5s Engines or 3HW engines .. 

At this point many frame and engine numbers were altered to hide the bikes military history

..roll on to today and as military bikes are more valuable . I see frequent alteration of Frame numbers and engine numbers to create a fake military bike .. 

What I have come to realise is that if you want an undiscovered military bike .. The bikes to look at are the immediate post war bikes.. Those registered in 1946/47/48 and even into the fifties as bikes dropping out of service were disposed of and often 're registered.

Jenkinov

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to contact Warpaint, from the website it won't give me access to email them and upon trying the number '01233 820219' I just get the dead tone?

Does anyone have an email address for them or can confirm the telephone number?

• Robert Mcaleese changed the title to Thanks for letting me join the group