Thanks for letting me join the group

Robert Mcaleese

Hi and thanks for letting me join the group. i'm looking forward to using the forum as i have a keen interest in military items in particular flintlock weapons ,swords and especially motorcycles , i am just about to embark on a restoration of a triumph 5sw with my friend sean who i beleive has spoken to a few of your members

Regards

Robert

• Up 1

Hi Ron

Thanks for the welcome,  really looking forward to getting this bike restored and riding ,I'm veering away from the desert  colour though  . love the colour of yours and i have seen a couple of nice brownish ones ,also i want to but a REME theme on the bike as i have history with them and as i have no intention of selling it , don't believe the REME would ever have used them but at the end of the day its only a sticker.

Regards

Robert

Unfortunately there is no BS or RAL number for KG3. I mix my own by sight. But someone came up with this chart for mixing British colours from RAL numbers. I've never tried any of them myself though. Ron

1448941820_RALmixes.jpg.4d80b0835480d5a1a66824db609bb41e.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

I am using  Khaki Green No.3 on a restoration from Warpaint.co.uk and it is an absolute match to a sample of 1940 paintwork that was uncovered during dismantling. Excellent paint.

In your experience Richard, where would you source SCC2 Brown?

No doubt "Warpaint" sell Service Brown. But it's a standard off the shelve colour BS 499 along with Dark Cammo Brown BS 436.

https://www.http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1443496&cmd=showe-paint.co.uk/BS381-colour-chart.asp

Robert. Richard might be the guy to talk to regarding your REME interest.

Ron

Edited by Ron

1 hour ago, Ron said:

No doubt "Warpaint" sell Service Brown. But it's a standard off the shelve colour BS 499 along with Dark Cammo Brown BS 436.

1 hour ago, Rootes75 said:

In your experience Richard, where would you source SCC2 Brown?

Hi,

I have had a very good sample of SCC No.2 Brown matched from a part of a vehicle which was inside the hull and covered all its life. This was matched by the paint manufacturer that Warpaint use and it is now on their records as "Farrant Brown". I know a few other forum members have used it as well. I use semi-matt as it is more durable and once cured it dulls down after a short period and much better that matt.

regards, Richard

• Like 2

Under the various coats of paint on our 1942 Commer we have found plenty of SCC2 Brown but its so compromised that we wouldn't be able to get a good colour match off of it. 

We have started rubbing her down now properly with a view to getting the welding done and paint on during the summer months when the weather is more favourable.

Similarly, when I stripped my RE WD/L which had been hand painted black. Inside all the covers (primary, brakes, headlamp etc)  was the original Khaki Green. I surprised myself how well I managed to match it, but with no written recipe to follow in the future, as it was done by adding this, that and the other. 

On the other hand, much the same as today, the paint must have come from different suppliers with differences in the shades.......At one point when trying to match the paint on one of my bikes, I had five tins of Olive Drab from different suppliers and not two of them were the same and none matched the bike.......You even have to buy your B&Q bathroom paint on the same day to be sure of a match. 🥴Ron 

WDL 013.JPG

WDL 016.JPG

WDL 074.JPG

• Like 1

This was a small section I rubbed down on the front wing just to see the paint layers on the 42 Commer. The first coat after primer is the Brown then the darker blue. We think she was an RAF truck, SCC2 Brown during the war maybe then blue after?

50968351168_0af8c87eb4.jpg

I don't know what pictures Robert has, and I don't think he'll mind me posting this. I've been assisting the current owner where I can. This is the bike before restoration started. One of the biggest problems was/is the wrong forks and front wheel. I did locate fork blade and wheel in Greece, but still more parts to locate.  Ron

Sean Kelly.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the photo ..A rare bike but a great project ..curious can you share the frame and engine numbers ...photos if available would be great ..

What's your initial aim. I prefer to start with The engine and it looks as if  .it looks As if you have enough to get her running a

Jenkinov

Pleased to see it's recorded On The register . Curious was it discovered in Ireland . I recall a few.years ago a number of 5s engines surfaced in Ireland and were sold on eBay ...

I believe the engines had the wd inspectors stamp but no contract number . I am aware of another 5s engine in a 3s frame near me ... But curious does the bike engine have a contract number ..

Jenkinov

Thanks Ron 

That confirms the Stamping PATTERNS I have seen .. The  2 x 5s engines i saw sold on eBay from Ireland all had the inspectors acceptance stamp but no contract number and whilst it's been a few years since I have seen it pretty sure the 5s in the 3sw frame had no contract number which confused me when I first saw it .

I had suspected that the 5s engines were potentially spares ..so stamped by the government inspector but not allocated but I can see that theory was incorrect .

Interesting how the 3sw and 5sw engines have such variances . When they were built in the same factory

Jenkinov

Sorry I haven't got back sooner been really busy.i hope to be speaking to Sean this week to will try and find all the info he has, my intention is to get it restored to as near original as possible as a keeper , I am not going to take any short cuts and I am very lucky to have some very useful friends Sean is brilliant with engines ,he has the engine completely striped and is sorting the big end mag getting refurbished etc ,I have an engineering business for any fab and another friend has a body work shop .only thing is I want to put a REME theme on the bike , I am really looking forward to this project and I would like to thank you guys for the interest yous are showing.i will keep yous informed as it progresses Robert

Remembering what was written by O&M:- the 5S was introduced by Triumph to it's model range before the war, but was not initially ordered by the WO as there were sufficient of the more robust 500 SV's by BSA and Norton. However there was a need to hurriedly re-equip after the losses at Dunkirk. Obviously Triumph had a stock pile of pre war civvy 5S engines which were designed to fit into the lightweight frame, so the orders were placed. Hence probably why the 5S engines weren't stamped with a W.

The engine crankcase-barrel-head are all physically bigger than the 3SW, although of course the mountings remain the same. 

I can confirm that they are a very lively bike, due in no small way to the fact that they weigh over 1/2 cwt lighter than the other 500 SV's.  Ron

• Like 1